Broken Back’s Sophomore Album “Good Days” Makes Us Forget About Our Quarantine Sadness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

At the early age of six years old, Jérôme Fagnet began musical training in a classical conservatory in his hometown. He studied and learned all the basics of music theory, jazz, improvisation, and some composition rudiments.

Music had become his escape. In 2013, the French songwriter and producer was recovering from a serious back injury. He wrote his first songs during this time as way to ease the pain caused by the injury. 

[Check It Out: Broken Back will be your new favorite artist]

“Music was my remedy,” he explained. “My body [was] the prison and my mind [was] the rope to break free.”

Composing became an addiction that he couldn’t stop even after his body healed. Thus, Broken Back came to life — yes, his back is better now!

As he continued working on music, everything had taken off and gone crazy (in a good way, of course!) since then. 

“I’ve received millions of online views, hundreds of gigs across the world, and a nomination for a French music Grammy,” he said.

Broken Back released his latest album titled “Good Days” earlier this year. Known for his whimsical indie-pop catalog, his sophomore album consists of 17 tracks that represent his nature as an artist. He created an atmosphere of familiarity and wamrth.

[ICYMI: “Good Days” – Broke Back out now; stream here]

The process of “Good Days” was the complete opposite of his first album. His self-titled album was, as he describes, “the genesis of Broken Back” — an inside look to his soul. On the other hand, he worked on his second album while he touring and traveling all over the world during the last two years.

BB elaborates on the creation: “I wanted to bring back memories, sounds, world instruments (darbuka, bouzouki, Toere), and emotions I just experienced on my touring journey back into the studio.”

The way he incorporated these elements from all over the world formed such a cohesive sonic masterpiece. “Good Days” will put your mind at ease as you study or work from home in the middle of a pandemic. This is exactly the album we need to get us through tough times. 

Follow Broken Back on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for updates. 

Celina Aquino

Illinois State '21

Celina Aquino is a senior studying finance and accounting at Illinois State University. She's a campus correspondent for the university's chapter as well as a national writer. Things that make her the happiest include groutfits and matcha. Check out "Style on the Move" on @hercampusstyle.
Contributor account for Illinois State