Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Find activities near you:

Watch movies and learn about breast cancer! The Advocate BroMenn Medical Center in Normal is hosting a movie night for women from 5:30-8 p.m. on October 23. The hospital will be screening ‘Freaky Friday’, as well as offering breast health information, food, and prizes, all for free! To register, call 800-323-8622 or visit www.advocatehealth.com/bromenn

Go For A Run:

Sign up for Zeta Tau Alpha’s annual 5k, a race for walkers and runners aimed to increase breast cancer awareness. This is your chance to be apart of something huge! Students can register for the race at a discounted price, too. Visit http://www.active.com/bloomington-il/running/distance-running-races/annual-zeta-tau-alpha-5k-2014 for more information on how to register. 

The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer is a two-day walk-a-thon that helps women with breast cancer. This event happens all in eight cities now through September of 2015, so finding one that fits in your schedule shouldn’t be too difficult. Find out more information and register at

http://www.avonwalk.org/

Support ISU Sports:

Many athletic teams at ISU are supporting breast cancer awareness this month, as well.

The ISU Volleyball team is hosting a special breast cancer awareness game on October 18, beginning at 6 p.m. The team encourages everyone attending to wear pink!

The Illinois State Ice Hockey team will be selling t-shirts, hosting a silent auction, and hosting a ladies night on October 11 with ticket sales going towards breast cancer research.

Other teams, like ISU Football and ISU Soccer are wearing pink jerseys during games to show their support.

Go Shopping:

Justify spending some money by buying from establishments that give back.

Many common retailers support breast cancer research; you may already be supporting the cure!

A variety of brands such as The North Face, Essie, and JCPenny support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. A complete list of partners can be found at: http://www.bcrfcure.org/partners

Keep Yourself Healthy:

One of the best ways to promote breast cancer awareness is to make sure that you are healthy. Maintain regular appointments with your doctor and familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of breast cancer; signs and symptoms include lumps in the breast, a change in breast appearance, and/or unusual discharge from the breasts. Taking advantage of opportunities to get checked in your area is an excellent way to stay active in fighting for the cure. 

The Double Tree by Hilton in Bloomington, IL is offering free mammogram screenings, breast self-exam education classes, and workshops on October 25 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. To register, visit www.centralillinoislinksinc.org

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University
Celina Porretta

Illinois State