This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which in America is known as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is an annual health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities in order to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research about its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure.

The campaign is yearly, it offers information and support for those affected by breast cancer and is intended to educate all people (because a good thing to remember is that not only women can get breast cancer men can too) about the importance of early screening, tests, and more.

I found a website called nationalbreastcancer.org that gives you more information about breast cancer and even more information about the campaign. You can donate money to the campaign, they give you the chance to donate once or even monthly.

You can also start a fundraiser, it can be an individual, business, or student and sport fundraiser. The fundraisers help to provide women with education about their breast health, free resources, and screenings. On the fundraise page there is even a section about going pink, they give you a Facebook frame and cover photo, they also give you a customizable flyer to kick off your fundraiser.

Another way to help support breast cancer awareness is to just wear pink in October. There are so many great philanthropies you can donate to to help this amazing cause, do some research around campus – you can be the change! 

Nastassja Ott

Illinois State '22

Junior at Illinois State University Early Childhood Education Major I love reading, writing, drawing, and coloring in my free time
Contributor account for Illinois State