Boredom Cure: Making a Food Insta to Document My Clean Eats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I used to scroll through other girls’ food Instagrams and drool over homemade meals. TBH, I thought it was too much work to cook and run an account like theirs. My go-to excuse was always “I don’t have time!” I didn’t really see myself making “complicated” meals, but the joke’s on me. A whole 360 flip happened one day — and I fell in love with cooking.

Rather than hitting up one of the homies to hang out with me, I started my very own food Instagram to cure my boredom over the summer. I guess that’s what happens when you hit a certain point of adulting. But hey, it might just be one of the best decisions I’ve made. There’s no turning back. 

Having this account has helped hold myself accountable for eating as clean as possible. I never thought I’d enjoy — let alone make — plant-based meals. Here are a few of my favorites:

Fried tofu with coconut curry and greens

I grew up loving fried tofu (yes, I said fried). I start by cutting a pack of tofu into thin slices, which I fry until golden brown. I sauté frozen peas in coconut oil. My favorite part is the coconut curry. Pour a can of coconut milk into the pan and add curry powder, garam marsala, and grated ginger. The final step is to throw in the fried tofu (cut into bite-size) and spinach. 

Tacos and guacamole

Lomo de res tacos are my life, but you’ve got to switch it up. Inspired by Kenzie Burke’s tacos babay, I make black beans and guacamole to put on casava-flour tortillas. I add some diced tomatoes and white onion, cilantro, and lettuce. 

Lasagna

Not to brag or anything, but this one’s a crowd favorite! I use brown rice pasta. I create layers with sautéed mushrooms and spinach along with either vegan mozzarella or ricotta cheese. For the sauce, I use a jar of marinara. I bake the lasagna for 20 minutes in 375 degrees.

Baked non-dairy mac and cheese

When you’re lactose intolerant like me, you have to find different ways to enjoy your childhood favorite dish without the hassle. Melt vegan Mexican cheese in a pot of cashew milk. For the noodles, I use brown rice elbow noodles. I pour the melted cheese all over the noodles in a tray and add some crunch of my liking. Then, I bake it for 15-20 minutes in 350 degrees.

Celina Aquino

Illinois State '21

Celina Aquino is a senior studying finance and accounting at Illinois State University. She's a campus correspondent for the university's chapter as well as a national writer. Things that make her the happiest include groutfits and matcha. Check out "Style on the Move" on @hercampusstyle.
Contributor account for Illinois State