This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall break is here for college students which means it’s time for me to read! I love reading over the breaks, especially during summer break. I always find myself falling in love with reading again after a long semester of reading academic texts. However, I love cozying up with a good book during the colder months too. I have a bunch of books on my “to-read” list on Goodreads, that I thought I’d share with you all!

People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

Sign up for Emily Henry’s newsletter!

I know I’m super late to the game, but this book was spreading all around Book Tok, and I’m so excited to read this one! I’m saving this one for a super snowy day when I need to be reminded of the fun things summer brings. This book tells the story of two best friends who go on a week-long vacation each summer. However, they disagree on something and stop going until they decide to do one final trip together.

Henry’s Other Reads: Book Lovers, Beach Read, Happy Place (forthcoming)

Blackout by Dhonielle Clayton, Tiffany D. Jackson, Nic Stone, Angie Thomas, Ashley Woodfolk, Nicola Yoon

I don’t believe I have read a book written by six well-known authors which leaves me super thrilled to dive into this one. This book is based in New York City where a summer heatwave leaves the city in darkness, what we know as a blackout. I’m eager to read a book and see how the authors’ voices and ideas present themselves in a combined text.

Authors’ Other Reads: Tiny Pretty Things + Shiny Broken Pieces by Dhonielle Clayton; Grown + The Weight of Blood by Tiffany D. Jackson; Dear Martin by Nic Stone; The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; When You Were Everything by Ashley Woodfolk; Instructions for Dancing + Everything, Everything by Nicole Yoon

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

This novel is one that popped up from a friend’s Goodreads page. Backman tells the story of a group of people who are held hostage in an apartment. The eight strangers learn more about one another as time passes as they wait to be rescued and saved. On the same note, the robber has to decide what move to take next: stay in the apartment or leave and face whatever lies beyond the door. I’m intrigued by this book knowing that the plot will most likely be in one location over some time. In addition, there are lots of characters which hopefully will add to the depth of the story.

(P.S. there’s a Swedish comedy-drama television series based on this book titled Anxious People)

Backman’s Other Reads: A Man Called Ove (forthcoming motion picture), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You

The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill

This is the book I am most excited about! I plan to listen to this story through an audiobook, but Gentill paints the scene for readers by describing a terrifying scream in the library’s reading room. The best part about this thriller is all four of them are in the same room conversing at a random table, waiting for police to clear the room. However, the book description suggests that one of them is the murderer – how exciting!

Gentill’s Other Reads: Crossing The Lines, After She Wrote Him, Rowland Sinclair Mysteries

The Best at It by Maulik Pancholy

Since I am working towards becoming an educator, it’s so important for me to read a plethora of books (besides my usual romance and thriller genre). And so, I have been exploring middle-grade novels, in addition to various styled genres. I have appreciated verse and graphic novels so far.

This is a debut graphic novel by Pancholy which tells the story of a gay American Indian boy who is trying to find his way in his small hometown. After a heartfelt conversation with his grandfather, he is searching to find his path and his strengths. I’m excited to see what he is the “best” at. I wonder if he is the best when he’s being himself… to be determined…

Pancholy’s Other Reads: Nikhil Out Loud

I hope you all enjoyed reading my glimpses of these amazing novels that I hope to love and recommend to all my readers! I linked my Goodreads list up top if you’re interested in finding out more about any of these novels or information about the authors. Use the time over break to recharge in whatever ways you need. For me, I’ll be curling up on my couch with a cup of warm coffee and one of these good books.

Happy reading!

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!