Best Winter Remedies for Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Since Mother Nature decided to skip fall and go straight to winter our skin will pay the toll. There are tons of at home, easy, cheap and quick fixes to remedy our dry winter skin.

Olive Oil:

Olive Oil works wonders and is multi purpose. Most of you probably have olive oil laying around in your kitchen. Olive oil is amazing for the skin. It is a mega moisturizer and makes a great facial treatment. Olive Oil pared with a little salt or sugar makes one of the best remedies for your dry hands, legs, feet and even your face. I use this method as a facial to dig deep into the pours of your skin. It is also useful for an at home pedicure or manicure! I bet you would have never thought to use olive oil to take off your eye make up! It really works and it’s so cheap.

Vaseline:

Every one can be a victim of dry, cracked and sore hands. Wearing gloves helps prevent wind burnt and dry hands but if you have sensitive skin like me, then sometimes you need more than just to cover up your hands in the cold.

The cool air is harsh on your skin and can become painful. A good way to get quick fix for your dry hands is using Vaseline. Use it on your hands as lotion and make it thick and to keep the moisture in and put socks on your hands. This is best done at night since socks on your hands can be difficult to work with. Sleep with the Vase line socks on, when you wake up you hands will be crack free and soft again.

Vaseline is your savior this winter. What about those chapped, flakey hands? Take a dab of Vaseline in you hands and a pinch of sugar. Rub them together and around your hands to allow the sugar to exfoliate your dry skin away. Then wash your hands and moisturize with your favorite kind of lotion. Ta-da! You will have that smooth and silky skin back in no time.

Bath time:

In the cooler weather months we are often times stripped of the moisture in our skin. We dry out, crack, peel and it is just bad news. It used to be said that drinking plenty of water would help hydrate your skin. Unfortunately this is a myth. Drinking water is great for you, but won’t help that dry itchy skin problem that winter gives us. However, water is useful. Soaking in a warm bath is one of the best ways to allow your skin to regain the moisture. Taking an herbal bath will help get rid of that irritated skin. Try dried chamomile herb in a cloth bag and place it in the water with you. Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and will help relieve that itchy, dry and distressed skin. Adding herbs like chamomile or even oatmeal to your bath will help heal your skin quicker.

Exfoliation: 

Exfoliating your skin is one of the most important things to do in the winter. It gets rid of dead flakey skin and allows your lotion to go deeper and ensuring that your body stays moisturized. Use a luffa to scrub away at that dry skin in the shower and use at home remedies like the Vaseline and sugar scrub or olive oil and salt to exfoliate and pamper your skin.There are things around the house that you never thought would be useful for anything else! It is amazing what a little organic and herbal treatment will do for you weathered skin.

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State