This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all (well, most of us) get them. We all hate them. Migraines and headaches truly suck. I’ve had my fair share of them over the years and have tried so many different medicines and tricks. Everyone experiences headaches and migraines differently with varying symptoms. So, I’ve narrowed done my favorite products/methods into a list for you all to try!

Excedrin Migraine 

I swear to you, I could not live without this stuff. I always keep it on me just in case I feel a headache coming on. I have an emergency stash in my car, my purse, and my backpack at all times. Now, this doesn’t necessarily work for everyone, so consult with your doctor, too! This medicine works wonders for me! Click this link to check out this product on Amazon. 

Ice Eye Masks 

If you have light sensitivity issues when you have a migraine, try an ice eye mask! You can get them on Amazon for as low as $11.99. Don’t leave it on for too long, but you should start to feel a little relief after about 15 minutes. Click this link to take you to my favorite ice eye mask on Amazon. 

Lavender & Peppermint Essential Oils 

Lavender and peppermint essential oils are a somewhat secret migraine fighter. If you have an essential oil diffuser, definitely invest in this oil! However, there are other ways to use it as well. I have bought rollerballs in the past and just roll it on my forehead when I have a headache and it works wonders. Click this link to take you to Amazon for my favorite brand of essential oils! 

Wearable Acupressure 

I haven’t tried this one out too many times yet, but I have heard great things about them! These nifty little things are easily transportable and just slide onto your hand in between your thumb and pointer fingers and relieve some pressure. Here’s the Amazon link for this product! 

Blue Light Glasses 

This is more of a preventative measure, but make sure you are utilizing the cute blue light glasses you bought! Us college kids are spending a lot of time on our computers, especially with the pandemic. Blue-light glasses are known for protecting your eyes and preventing headaches! Click this link to take you to a wallet-friendly pack of blue light glasses. 

Migraines and headaches can be such a pain. Trust me, I feel ya. These are just a couple of the multitude of tricks I have learned over the years, but these ones have proven to be the most effective for me. At the end of the day, make sure you are taking care of yourself. Drink plenty of water (sometimes caffeine can help too!) and make sure to get plenty of sleep. Stay healthy! 

HCXO, 

Alyssa

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1
Contributor account for Illinois State