This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s almost summer! The clear skies are here and warm weather is heading our way in the Midwest. I cannot wait to have a nice break from classes and be able to spend time with my friends and family. Due to my excitement, I’ve comprised a list of fun activities and things to do outdoors for this summer. Feel free to complete them with friends, family, or by yourself – there is something for everyone!

Have a beach day

There is something about being at the beach all day (and getting sand everywhere) that just signifies it’s summer. I recommend tanning on the beach while reading a good book or playing frisbee with some friends. Make sure to stop and get ice cream after being in the heat all day. There is nothing like being outdoors with friends and soaking up the sunshine. However, don’t forget to wear SPF sunscreen – your future self will thank you.

Go mini-golfing

My family and I are all golfers, so this is a great thing for us to do to tap into our competitive side. This is a great option for people of all ages and would be another fun idea to do with friends over the weekend. All you need is a pair of gym shoes and a positive attitude.

Have a bonfire

One of my favorite things to do outside is to have a bonfire. I love getting the bonfire set up as the sun is setting. Then, as the night goes on, the stars are shining and the music is playing. I love the peaceful feeling that emanates around me when I look at the night sky. This is a great option to do with friends and family. Don’t forget to roast marshmallows for s’mores! My boyfriend and I love doing this in the summer because it gives us a chance to spend some quality time together (and did I mention s’mores!).

Go camping

If you’re looking for a getaway, going camping is a great option. You can hike through the woods, implement my bonfire suggestion, spend time in nature and so on. This is a great option if you find yourself needing that quiet time and a break from all the hustle of everyday life, which could include summer classes or work.

Visit an amusement park

Roller coasters and water parks aren’t for everyone but if you are looking for a thrilling activity this is the option for you. I would be sure to check with COVID guidelines and park hours before just going on a spontaneous road trip, but this would be a great adventure to go on with friends or coworkers!

Watch a sunset

This is a peaceful (and free) option because all you have to do is go outside your home. Something is calming and peaceful about seeing the sunset and warm tones in the sky. The only important necessity is to choose a day that isn’t cloudy. Hopefully, there will be at least one sunny evening, if not several of those, each week.

Plan a Picnic

This is a great date idea! I love picnics and the simplicity of them. Prepare a basket full of your favorite foods or grab your favorite to-go food to bring. Head to your local park and find a nice shady (or sunny) spot to sit and enjoy your lunch.

The most important thing about summer is enjoying the warm weather. The activities suggested above are enjoyable and can be done with friends and family. Finally, make a summer bucket list and stick to it! Last summer was one of quarantining and what felt like entrapment. Let’s keep in mind the importance of being smart and safe but try to make the most of this summer in every way possible. And always remember to have fun!

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State