The Best Christmas Movies Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Thanksgiving is over and you know what that means…it’s Christmas time! The lights, the shopping, the snow, but most importantly, the movies. Nothing beats forgetting everything you’ve learned this past semester by curling up with hot chocolate and watching a Christmas movie. There are a million choices when it comes to picking a good Christmas movie to watch, so I’ve narrowed it down to these elite 10. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

10. “The Polar Express”

This movie was the best movie to see in 3D back in the day. Also, who doesn’t love Tom Hanks running around a train playing three different characters? This is a perfect movie to watch, if you’re just getting started with your holiday movies.

9. “I’ll be Home for Christmas”

Watching Jonathan Taylor Thomas run around the desert in a Santa costume is a lovely memory from my childhood.  This movie is super funny and has a Disney channel movie vibe that will make you so happy!

8. “Mickeys Christmas Carol”

I only ranked this version of a Christmas Carol because it is hands down the most memorable and heartwarming. The story of a Christmas Carol is kind of dark and scary when you really think about it so it nice to see Mickey and his peeps act this one out.

7. “Home Alone”

This movie is a classic. It’s got everything a Christmas movie needs: lights, laughter and Macaulay Culkin, before he fell of the face of the Earth! The only thing is that the whole movie is this kid fighting for his life because no one in his giant family could remember him…really?! Still a classic.

6. “Christmas with the Kranks”

The king of awesome Christmas movies, Tim Allen, stars in this flick. It’s a charming story that proves if you don’t participate in the normal traditions of the holidays, all of your neighbors will judge you like no other. Totally hilarious, a must see, if you haven’t yet!

5. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

This amazing Dr. Seuss story is fun to watch in both live action and in cartoon form. This movie was the best to watch as a child because of all the bright colors. Who am I kidding? It’s still fun to watch now, and sing along to the last song that we still don’t know the words too. “Ya who door is something something welcome Christmas something something”

4. “Rudolph, The Red-Nose Reindeer”

This movie is the ultimate Christmas classic. It was made over 50 years ago but it still is so fun to watch. Most cartoon Christmas movies are animated but watching these puppets dance and sing really gives you the best sense of Christmas.

3. “The Santa Clause”

The king of Christmas movies strikes again! Tim Allen accidentally knocks Santa off of the roof which then turns him into Santa. This movie is Tim Allen’s best Christmas and every movie in the trilogy is more amazing then the next.   

2. “Elf”

In second place is Elf because there is no funnier Christmas movie than this. This movie has become a classic to all of us. We can all quote the movie by heart and yet it still makes us laugh uncontrollably. The only thing wrong in this movie is Zooey Deschanel with blonde hair. Thank you Elf for always making us laugh.

1. “A Christmas Story”

There is nothing more classic when it comes to Christmas movies than the phrase “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!” This movie is so good, the TV channel, TBS, literally plays it all day on Christmas. If you have yet to see this movie, you haven’t had a real Christmas experience.

So, this holiday season stay in and avoid family asking you uncomfortable questions about your future and watch these amazing elite 10 Christmas movies.

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State