This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Google’s Audiobooks, Amazon’s Audible and Apple’s iTunes are just a few ways to get audio books or podcasts on your phone or computer. I personally have an Audible account with Amazon and really love it!

Here are some reasons why audio books are just as good as physically reading!

Listen on the go

We all have busy lives, especially in college, and are going to and from class, the rec center, work, clubs etc. Rather than walking around campus listening to music or nothing at all, I started listening to audio books. Most audio books range from 6 to 20 hours, which gives you plenty of walks with a great read/listen!

Save Time

Do you ever have to read for class? Listening instead of sitting down and reading can save you time! I can cook, eat, clean my kitchen and put in a load of laundry while listing to my book for class. Multitasking is a very crucial skill to have as a student and future professional. 

Inspirational

Just like music, audio books can inspire and motivate you. Books like “You are a Badass” and “Unf*ck Yourself” are all available as audio books. These bestsellers provide a refreshing truth about life. Listening to books like these help you figure out what really matters in life and what you shouldn’t worry about. By the end of these books you will feel more confident and ready to live a life you used to be jealous of.

Before Bed

Don’t get me wrong, I love reading actual books still when I can fit it in to schedule or before bed, but sometimes I am just so exhausted I cannot concentrate at night. I enjoy having something to listen to before going to sleep to allow me to relax. There are sleep mode settings so you can decide how long you want your audio book to play.  

Traveling

Driving home for the weekend? Driving to visit a friend at a different University? This is the perfect time to listen to an audio book or podcast! The variety of books available is very large, which means you can find the perfect one for you and your friend to listen to for the drive. Plus, you will not have to worry about constantly switching radio stations.

So, put away that book you still haven’t had time to finish and pick up your headphones!

Kaitlyn McCormick
Contributor account for Illinois State