This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all know Ariana Grande for her amazing style, her cute personality, and her outstanding vocals. The queen of pop has released her fifth number one album on the Billboard 200 chart. I listened to this new album entitled, “Positions,” to see what all the hype was about.

The album consists of 14 catchy tracks and 3 feature artists. Doja Cat, The Weeknd, and Ty Dolla Sign are all featured on this record. Each song shows off Ariana’s exceptional vocals, and they feature fantastic underlying instrumental compositions.

If I were to categorize this album I would say it is a pop album with a hint of R & B. Specifically, the songs “My Hair” and “Love Language” showcase Ariana’s ability to perform the R & B genre. These two songs are also, in my opinion, the most romantic tracks on the album. “Positions” is definitely an empowering album. It shows off a female’s sexual side in a very tasteful way. Ariana has always been an advocate for women empowerment, and that quality is what I love most about her. Her newest album does not shy away from this topic. As a young female, I couldn’t help but feel good about myself while listening to this album. It takes artists and albums, like Ariana Grande and “Positions,” to help young females feel comfortable expressing themselves. 

While the entire album was amazing, there was one characteristic that I admired the most. The songs are not too deep to understand. The message of the album as a whole is extremely obvious, it’s okay to feel attractive and express it to those around you. This doesn’t mean you should become a narcissist, but it means that exuding confidence is an amazing thing. These songs make you want to dance in the mirror while you get ready for a night out. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this album, and I would definitely recommend that you listen to it. Once again, Ariana has blessed us with her amazing talent. 

Annabelle Short

Illinois State '22

Hi! My name is Annabelle Short, and I am a 20 year old public relations student at Illinois State! I love being creative in my daily life. Some of my hobbies include painting, singing, reading, and journaling! I am passionate about my writing, and I am so excited to share that with you all!
Contributor account for Illinois State