This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This year’s fall in the midwest is seemingly unlike any we’ve had in the past few years. Not because of an album release, or a great new restaurant; not even because of the election. This year’s fall is different because (drumroll please) we actually have one! For the first time in a long time it hasn’t snowed on Halloween and there hasn’t been some insane drop from 80 degrees to 30. The weather is nice and cool, making this season the perfect time to break out your autumn fashion finds. Here are just a few of my favorite fall essentials, from places that won’t break the bank.

Knit Sweaters

Something about fall just screams ‘Grandma Vibes,’ which, in my head, means cozying up in something knitted, warm drink in hand. Now, don’t worry, you don’t need to go getting yourself knitting equipment just yet, there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to your knit attire. For just under $30, Nordstrom Rack has a multicolored knit turtleneck that gives off peak grandma energy, and if you’re looking for a bigger bargain, H&M sells the cutest knit quarter-zip I never knew existed, for just $25!

Space-Dye Chunky Turtleneck Sweater, Nordstrom Rack $28.47

Knit Sweater, H&M $24.99

Patterned Scarves

Scarves are an absolute autumn must have. Whether you’re planning on incorporating them into an outfit as a statement piece, or you just need something to keep off the fall chill, I’ve got you covered on this one. Target, our favorite place, has a wide selection of scarves in their inventory. From infinity scarves, to the cozy blanket scarf, you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for in a scarf here. My personal favorite? The blanket scarf with the fall colors, of course!

Plaid Blanket Scarf – Cream, Target $11.90

Corduroy Pants

I truly don’t think there is a better fabric for fall than corduroy. It’s cute, it’s comfortable, it’s warm — what more could you ask for in a closet staple? One of the best things about this piece is the pop it adds to an outfit. Rather than recycling the same blue jeans to go with all your classic, mustard yellow and rust red-orange sweaters, you can fall back on your new corduroys to bring the fall colors into your look. At only $20, Kohl’s has a great, tan option for, what is soon to be, your favorite bottoms you’ve ever owned. But, if you’re looking for even more of a statement piece, Target has the most incredible orange, flared corduroys, for just under $25.

Straight Leg Corduroy Pants – Maple Chili, Kohl’s $19.99

High-Rise Flare Corduroy Pants, Target $23.99

Peasant Tops

Another thing about fall is that, for some reason, all I can think about when seeing the leaves on the ground, is running through them as if I’m a character in a Renaissance-age movie. I don’t know why that is, but I can tell you with certainty, that if you want your own movie moment, peasant tops are necessary in playing the role. Something about the floral patterns and puffy sleeves just really complete the look. Luckily for all of us, ASOS and Missguided have both a great basic white choice, as well as a fun floral option.

Broderie Puff-Sleeve Blouse, ASOS $24.00

Floral Print Puff Sleeve, Missguided $22.0

Comfy Booties

This would not be a fall fashion rundown if it didn’t include some form of ankle boot. They are truly just the perfect transitional style of footwear for autumn. If you go for an open toed option it’s like the shoe is a literal cross between a summer sandal, and a winter boot — is there anything more fit for the season? Now it can be difficult to snag a good deal on shoes, especially ones that are both durable and comfortable, but Nasty Gal has us all covered, with decently priced leather boot options in both black and white.

Vegan Leather Ankle Boots, Nasty Gal $25.60

White Here Ankle Boots, Nasty Gal $35.20

So, now that you know where to go to get these autumn wardrobe essentials, you can head out to enjoy this year’s actual fall-like fall weather, and look incredible doing it.

Ela Messina

Illinois State '24

Ela is a junior marketing major and mass media minor at Illinois State. Aside from writing, she spends her downtime playing with her dogs, binging the newest TV comedies, and baking any and every dessert in the cookbook! Ela is the senior editor for the Illinois State chapter of Her Campus.
Contributor account for Illinois State