This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As my second year of college is coming to a close, I will be officially halfway through my undergraduate degree. So far, I am confident in saying I’ve been through a good amount of “the college experience.” From messy relationships to new friend groups, major life changes, retiring from my student-athlete lifestyle, joining student clubs, dropping said clubs, moving in, birthdays, going out and more, one thing that I know for sure is that music was with me throughout all of it. Here are a few playlists to help you get through some of the most monumental college experiences.

Move-in

It’s stressful and nerve-racking and exciting all at once. Feeling on top of the world but wanting to throw up at the same time. This is what move-in feels like.

“Moving On” – Sarah and the Sundays

“Cynic” – Noah Kahan

“Sedona” – Houndmouth

“Misnomer” – The Brook & The Bluff

“Moving Out” – Dayglow

“Get It Right the First Time” – Billy Joel

“Nellie” – Dr. Dog

“Young Adult” – Ritt Momney

“Hey, Did I Do You Wrong?” – Sam Cisco

“Cool Out” – Matthew E. White, Natalie Prass

First party

It’s exciting. It’s fun. It’s anxiety-riding. No curfew, no parents and only friends and trust to keep you in check. Here’s the vibe for you.

“The Spins” – Mac Miller

“Pink Lemonade” – James Bay

“The Difference” – Flume, Toro y Moi

“Doses & Mimosas” – Cherub

“Maniac” – Conan Gray

“Kids” – MGMT

“As It Was” – Harry Styles

“More Than a Woman” – Bee Gees

“Cool for the Summer” – Demi Lovato

“First Class” – Jack Harlow

First crush

They’re in your philosophy class, they’re your GA, they’re your interview source, they’re your….

‘”Til the Right One Comes” – John Mayer

“Love Is a Beautiful Thing” – Vulfpeck

“Valentine” – Laufey

“Shaky In The Knees” – Grizfolk

“I Knew” – Lizzy McAlpine

“Real Love Baby” – Father John Misty

“Hypotheticals” – Lake Street Dive

“Easy to Love” – Couch

“Let’s Pretend” – Del Water Gap

“Sweet Thing” – Twin Peaks

When you find your people

Soon you’re inseparable. They let you sleep on their couch after crying for hours, you’re in their dorm making flyers for their next show, and you start an online magazine with them. Some of the best memories of your life are made with these people, and these are the songs to feel it.

“Guys” – The 1975

“Off My Mind” – Joe p

“Willow” – The Q-Tip Bandits

“Martin” – Car Seat Headrest

“Better Than I Know Myself” – Del Water Gap

“Denji’s Song” – Harrison Gordon

“Making Breakfast” – Twin Peaks

“Straws” – The Brook & The Bluff

“She’s so High” – Tal Bachman

“Jackie Onassis” – Sammy Rae & The Friends

A Nice Day on the Quad

For when your blanket’s out, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and homework sprawled. Friends by your side, people playing frisbee and reading. Not a care in the world, just the pure feeling of sun and gratitude for being at the best place in the world: college.

“Please Leona” – Tear Ducks

“Perfect Places” – Lorde

“yea, babe, no way” – LANY

“Suddenly I See” – KT Tunstall

“Anna Sun” – Walk The Moon

“Lancaster Nights” – Charlie Burg

“The Best Part” – Young Mister

“Shampoo Bootles” – Peach Pit

“Butch” – Saint Motel

“She Moves In Her Own Way” – The Kooks

No matter what happens, living in the moment and living with music make every moment in college better. There is nothing more intriguing than finding yourself, your friends, and your passions with the help of the greatest self-discovery entertainment medium. College has been the weirdest, most magical, and possibly the best time of my life. I just hope to hold onto it for as long as I can.

Kaylee Sugimoto

Illinois State '24

Hi there, I’m Kaylee! I was born in California but raised in Portland, Oregon. I'm a retired Division 1 athlete, and now study journalism and psychology at ISU. If I'm not on campus, I'm probably on a mountain or somewhere without service in the desert. So don't text, I mean it.