Coffee bar at CoffeeHound Uptown Normal
Coffee bar at CoffeeHound Uptown Normal
Emily Mepham

A Coffee Stroll Through Normal, IL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Are you a coffee fiend looking for the best place to grab your daily caffeine boost? Or a place that can top your favorite hometown coffee shop? If you’re not a coffee fiend, are you looking for the perfect place to ensure you have enough energy for a long day of college classes? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you’ve made it to the right place! 

I, for one, am a coffee fiend and I love to try a new coffee shop everywhere I go, so I think I am at least semi-qualified to write about the best coffee shops within walking distance of campus. Sit back, relax and by the end of this article, you’re going to want to take a walk to at least one of these! 

Fusion Brew

What I ordered: Iced blended coffee (the banana one) 

Unique feature: Number of options and flavors, including boba! 

I had heard nothing but good things about this cafe so, naturally, I had to check it out as soon as I got to campus. I ordered a frozen coffee, and it took a little longer than expected, but as soon as I tasted my drink, I knew it was worth it. I was also delighted to have the satisfaction of punching my straw through the lid, too––it was just like the boba experience, without the boba! There weren’t that many places to sit, but it wasn’t busy, so I was able to grab a table. My drink was tasty and smooth (which is my number one requirement for a frozen drink) with a ton of flavor. I recommend this coffee shop, but maybe not if you’re looking for somewhere to hang out during a busy time of day. It is, unfortunately, a little far from most of the residence halls, but still close enough to walk to. I’m very excited to try all their different options, eventually! 

Overall Rating: 3/5 Coffee Beans 

Coffeehouse & Deli 

What I ordered: Cold brew with almond flavoring

Unique feature: Being able to put your own cream and sugar in so you don’t get too much/too little (that’s rare now!)

I was out for lunch in Uptown when I realized I was right next to the only coffee shop in Normal that I hadn’t tried yet, which was Coffeehouse. I ordered something a little out of the ordinary for me, but that’s only because they had almond—a flavor that isn’t very common at other coffee shops I’ve been to—and I had been wanting to have coffee with almond flavor in it for a while. So I ordered a simple almond cold brew and found out I would have to put my own cream in. Totally fine, as that way I could make sure I didn’t get too much or too little. After I ordered, it took a long time for me to receive my drink, but they also serve food so I understood that they had multiple orders to fill, more than just a regular coffee shop would have. Before I put my cream in, I did try the cold brew black with the almond flavor, which I did like, but being able to put in my own perfect amount of cream was honestly a highlight for me. I can’t wait to try their other flavors, drinks and foods! 

Overall Rating: 4/5 Coffee Beans 

Theo’s Microcreamery 

What I ordered: Iced latte with cake batter and oat milk 

Unique feature: The cutest courtyard is next door where you can drink your coffee AND eat your ice cream! 

In the first two weeks of living at ISU, I had been to Theo’s a total of five times—so you could say I might be a little addicted to this place. Not only do I love their ice cream, but I’ve enjoyed their lattes a lot, too! They have a ton of great choices on their menu, from ice cream to coffee to smoothies. I wish they added just a little more flavor in their coffees, but they don’t mind adding a little extra if you ask for it. I definitely will be going there many more times before I go home for winter break (and, in case you couldn’t justify going in the chilly weather, they’re selling hot chocolate bombs now, too!).

Overall Rating: 4/5 Coffee Beans (and ice cream scoops!) 

Coffee Hound Uptown Normal

What I ordered: Iced caramel latte (but my new favorite is the redbird latte!)

Unique feature: They have more than one location in the area!

When I visited ISU my senior year of high school, I knew I needed to scope out a good coffee shop in the area. The first one I passed was Coffee Hound, so I stopped in as I was walking through Uptown. I got a normal coffee order, just to check it out, and as soon as I tried my latte the first words out of my mouth were “this is the best latte I have ever had” (which really is saying something because I’ve tried a lot of lattes in my day). Something about the balance of espresso, milk and caramel flavor was perfect. They were very busy when I visited, but that’s how you know their drinks are delicious! A downside is they do close at 4 pm, and most of my classes don’t end until after that. But, I’ve made sure to make time to stop in quite often because they have my favorite coffee ever!

Overall rating: 5/5 Coffee Beans

Honorable Mention: Starbucks

Okay fine, I’ll add Starbucks in here because there are two within walking distance of campus. The one in the Bone may be convenient and you can use your flex dollars there, but the one in uptown never has a line. Do with that information what you will!

Have you left your dorm yet, already walking to one of these great coffee shops? If not, I hope you make it to at least one of these shops soon and enjoy your own favorite coffee creation! 

Emily Mepham

Illinois State '25

Hi! My name is Emily and I am an English major at Illinois State University. Obviously, as an English major, I do a lot of writing and, thankfully, I love it! My entire personality consists of coffee, Disney, and Taylor Swift. I hope you enjoy my writing at least half as much as I enjoy writing it! <3 em