9 Things Your Best Friend Drags You Into After a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all have that one friend who has suffered (but then thrived) after a breakup. She most likely annoyed the crap out of you for at least four to five weeks until she was back to being her sane and confident self.

Here are some of the things your friend dragged you into in order to provide support after the breakup:

​1. Getting drunk with her on a Monday

On Monday, she’ll be the drunkest person at the bar…because it’s a Monday. Your job is to keep the drinks and shots constantly coming. This is her time to be distracted from her break-up even though she will try to bring it up every 25 minutes.

2. Getting drunk with her almost every day after Monday

Monday wasn’t enough, so you hit Pub Wednesday, Chasers Thursday, had a wine night Friday and dartied Saturday. It’s still college, so it’s socially acceptable, right?

3. Listening to her tell the same exact story over and over

She told you the story about the days leading up to the break-up and the actual break-up so many times that you feel like you were actually there.

4. Letting her use your phone to creep her ex’s social media accounts because she got blocked

She’s turned into a cyber stalker and uses your accounts to do it. He blocked her right away, and it’s driving your best friend crazy not seeing what he’s up to 24/7. Good thing everyone’s social accounts are like a reality show of their life online! Even though as her best friend you know this is a form of self-inflicting torture, you let her use your phone anyway.

5. Trying to convince you to drive to her ex’s house

This is what you both refer to as her “crazy” stage. This is when she was in denial and thought of the possibility of getting back together. She asked you to go with her to see him after he blocked her number, but you told her it wasn’t a good idea. She went anyway.

6. Forcing you to take copious amounts of Snapchats of her “having fun”…until he deleted you

When you two go out or even just look cute that day she will say “take a pic of me” about 300x. Just do it and post it because you will eventually be deleted anyway.

7. Encouraging you to criticize her ex when she is venting

Your best friend still gets angry and wants to vent about how much her ex sucks. All the trash talk encourages you to play along and make jokes about all of his faults. People feel better after vocally venting about their feelings. Besides, he’s a loser for breaking up with your awesome BFF anyway…

8. Repeatedly hearing her say “I’m fine”

Pretty soon after the break-up, she’ll try to convince herself she’s doing a lot better without her ex. No matter how many times you ask how she’s doing, how she feels or if she’s okay, she’ll say, “I’m fine.” She may even go on a rant about how something upset her or she did something dumb while drunk the other day and will just end it with, “but I’m fine.” Don’t worry, she’ll start to believe it soon.

9. Fully supporting her moving-on stage

You’ve been there for her for weeks during her emotional break-up, but now you’re slowly being pushed to the side again. There are some new boys in town who have the perfect face to make out with and a comfy bed to lay in later. You undoubtedly need to encourage this behavior, even if you start to miss her cuddling with you in bed because it’s her “moving on stage” and it needs to be done.

Kaitlyn McCormick
Contributor account for Illinois State