Wellness

8 Ways to Take Care of Yourself During a Busy Season of Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Now that I am student teaching, I have found it getting more and more difficult as the days move forward to find time for myself. My responsibilities in my classroom are expanding, and my tasks are growing each day. So, for all of my student-teacher friends and those starting a heavy course load this semester, here are my recommendations for creating time and opportunities to take care of yourself.

Spend time w/ friends + family

Before I began student teaching, I made a conscious decision over winter break to spend time with my family and friends. I did this one because I moved home from campus but also because my family and friends mean the world to me. I knew I would not be able to go into a new challenging experience and an unknown environment without having a great support system. I have found that by surrounding myself with my loved ones, I feel much more like myself. Although it’s been challenging to keep up as frequently as I’d like to, I know my support team recognizes this busy chapter in my life.

Do something small for yourself every day

To celebrate the small things, I try to do one thing every day for myself. That may be something as simple as making a cup of tea for my drive to my placement school or taking 5 minutes to do a shortened skincare routine before I go to bed. It’s so important to find time for yourself when life gets extremely busy. A small choice to do one thing for yourself every day goes a long way.

Creating a routine but being okay with taking it one day at a time

If I have learned anything about being a teacher it’s that you NEED to be flexible. By nature, I wouldn’t consider myself a super flexible person. I am more of that Type A style personality, where I make a list of everything I do and am constantly thinking and reflecting on what I’m saying. However, teaching is more of a day-by-day process where you have to be flexible; the routine strays away from what you expect quite often. And so, I decided to establish a consistent night routine, with a few regular events throughout the week – such as attending a cycling class on Tuesdays. It’s important to have a routine but it’s also necessary to be flexible and be okay with changes as they happen (because they will happen).

Write down personal things on your to-do list

I am struggling to find time for completing personal tasks because I have been prioritizing my student-teaching responsibilities. While I don’t have the best suggestions for how to resolve this balance, I would recommend writing both personal and work to-dos on a list so you continue to feel that gratification and sense of accomplishment once you complete a task or goal.

Purchase bath bombs & shower steamers

Baths are not my favorite thing in the world. I do love a colorful and citrus-smelling bath bomb, but I have a difficult time creating a set time to relax. However, I have discovered shower steamers (courtesy of one of my best friends) and they are wonderful! It’s essentially an aroma-therapy block, similar to a bath bomb, that you place on the bottom of the shower flooring. This is SO relaxing, and I love using this as a small way to find time to relax, especially on my busy days.

Have a “slow day” during your week or over the weekend

I recently have been incorporating slow Sundays into my routine. Working Monday to Friday, plus weekends for grading and planning has impacted the amount of free time I have. As someone who needs to recharge my social battery and energy, I find that creating a slow day on my weekend is best to ensure that I go into a new week with a fresh mindset and positive attitude. I have been spending my time on Sundays taking care of myself – such as getting a workout in, grabbing coffee with a friend or going to church. While every Sunday is not a completely slow day or a relaxation day, I find that even spending the morning hours doing what I enjoy makes a huge difference. I’d encourage you to do the same if your schedule allows you to.

Find ways to feel supported and cared for

Everyone goes through difficult experiences and times where they are struggling to take care of themselves, in more ways than one. What matters significantly is that you ask for help if you need it. I hope you always feel cared for and supported, especially in times of struggle. Remember to lean on your support system if you are having trouble maintaining a healthy routine and balancing school responsibilities, work expectations and personal activities.

Breathe … it’s okay to be living in moments of uncertainty

We are all human. Don’t forget that. To do the day-to-day jobs and roles we have, we have to remember to give one another grace. This is something my mentor teacher reminds me of on a daily basis. We have to be graceful towards one another and help support each other. When I think about my student teaching experience, a bad lesson or a bad day doesn’t mean I’m a lousy teacher; it just means I am human. Always do your best to find your way back on track. And if things get hard, remember that there’s always a new day to start fresh and try again.

I hope this article finds all of you well. Please do whatever you can to take care of yourself. I hope my recommendations, which are based on my experiences, can help you decide what works best for you.

Wishing all my fellow cohort student teachers the best of luck in the coming weeks as we continue to take over the leadership roles in the classrooms. Take care of yourself.

HCXO,

Lynn

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!