Career

7 Questions Restaurant Hosts Get Asked and What They Wish They Could Tell You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Working in the restaurant industry for nearly four years has introduced me to some interesting customers who ask some pretty obvious questions. The people that walk through those doors always have a quip to say to us, since we are the first person visible when you begin the “dining experience”. I asked my co-workers for additional feedback, but here are some questions a restaurant host gets asked everyday and what we wish we could tell them:

1.      “Is it nice enough to sit outside?” (Applicable to restaurants with an outdoor patio).

“You were JUST outside. I have been in this building for 6+ hours. I forgot what fresh air and sun feels like. If you think it’s nice enough to sit outside, I can seat you outside, but I can’t help you with your dilemma.”

2.      “Why is there an hour wait if I see open tables?”

“Reservations! It’s a busy weekend night and it’s coming up on 6:30pm. We have 35+ reservations to seat before 8pm. So, I wish I could seat you. I know you’re hungry. But we do take reservations and we got to seat those first.”

3.      “Can we sit at that table instead? This one sucks.”

“Since the customer is always right, yes you can sit somewhere else. However, we, as hosts, have a strategy behind where we seat you. We sat you here initially because 1.) it’s an open section and the server is clocked in, 2.) it’s the only table available because the others we’re saving for large parties/reservations, and 3.) we have a strategic rotation with the servers so that they each get an equal(ish) number of tables. Please try not to mess up our rotation. Servers agree as well.”

4.      “What should I order?”

“You’re lucky I eat at this restaurant every day and I could tell you what I would order, but I don’t really know what YOU like. I’ll recommend some things but get whatever your heart tells you.”

5.      “Can we get a table for 6?”

*spends five minutes setting up a table for 6 people*

“Oh and there’s also 4 kids!”

“So, if I’m counting correctly and including your children, 10 people? That’s a table for 10. There are 10 humans. 10 people need to sit. 10 spots. Ten. We, as hosts, need an exact number of people in your party because it is our priority to accommodate a table in our restaurant that is comfortable for everyone. Your children count as people, right?”

6.      “Do we seat ourselves?”

“I mean, I can seat you. A host. It’s kind of my job. Right this way!”

7.      “Is the wait time REALLY 30 minutes?”

“I’m trying really really hard not to be sarcastic right now. I reaaaally want to say that I’m totally kidding and can seat you right away. But you’re literally standing in a crowd of people and it’s a Friday night. Yes, it’s really a 30-minute wait. I’m not lying here. My entire shift is focused on the activity going on right behind me, in this restaurant. All I am thinking about is how long until table 30 gets clean so I can seat a 4-top reservation. I’m keeping tabs on this wait time. It really is roughly 30 minutes, it could be longer, could be shorter. I don’t know. I’m estimating here!”

Maybe I’ve been working too much, but these questions have been really pressing on my mind lately. My co-workers and I get asked them dozens of times a week. If you have worked in a restaurant, you can probably relate. If not, try to respect the restaurant staff. We’re here to make your “dining experience” a great one!

Davita Jo Monaghan

Illinois State

It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world.
Contributor account for Illinois State