Red Roses Heart Cookie
Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Fun Valentine’s Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s just about that time of the year again, ladies! Valentines day, yay! This is such a fun “holiday” to show your significant other, friends, or family how much you love them. Of course, they should know every other day of the year that you love them too, but it’s always fun to have an excuse to give gifts or spend time with them. Here are some date ideas if you aren’t sure how you want to celebrate Valentine’s Day! 

1. Try out a new restaurant together. If you’re like my boyfriend and I, we have our same favorite places we always like to eat at. So, changing it up is fun! Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to pick a unique place or maybe a nicer place than usual to get dinner. 

2. Movie day in. A movie might seem basic like something you could do any time, but that’s why you can make it better! Maybe you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend too much money. Get your favorite drinks and snacks, make the room cozy, and pick out some of your favorite rom coms to watch. If there’s any day you should be able to make your boyfriend watch a romantic movie with you, it’s Valentine’s day. 

3. Painting and Wine. If you’re 21 or older, go to one of those painting classes that serve wine. This would be so fun to experience with someone you love. If you don’t want to spend money, get your own canvas and paint, grab a bottle of Barefoot, and do it at home! 

4. Cook with/for your partner. Going out to eat is fun, but there is something special about preparing the food yourself. If you want your s/o to cook, just ask them! I think cooking with them would be really fun as well. Put on some music, cook, have fun, and enjoy your masterpiece together. 

5. Weekend getaway! Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year, yay! This is the perfect opportunity to take a mini weekend trip somewhere. Go to Chicago or another city, get a hotel and have a fun weekend. It’s always great to take a break from your routine. 

6. Breakfast in bed. If you live with your s/o, get a little bed tray and make their favorite breakfast for them. There is nothing like waking up to the smell of fresh french toast! Anyone would appreciate this. 

7. Re-create your first date. Depending on how long you’ve been dating, this could be really cute, fun, and romantic. Plan the exact same date that made you start falling for your s/o. 

Annamarie Schutt

Illinois State '21

Annamarie is a senior journalism major. Aside from being the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus ISU, Annamarie also currently reports for TV-10 News and WZND.