6 Reasons Why You Should Make Traveling A Priority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The travel bug makes its way into everyone’s lives one way or another. It gives us a strong desire to navigate to the exotic places we see set as our screensavers. Desire is one thing, but making it happen is another. It is so easy to get caught up in life and make excuses for the things we want most, especially traveling. Here are six reasons why it’s important to expand your horizons and make traveling a priority:

1. Traveling gives you new perspectives.

Traveling is a cure for narrow-mindedness. Temporarily living in a new culture, experiencing new norms and viewing Earth’s most impressive landscapes is almost guaranteed to give us a fresh, positive outlook on life. And I’m not talking about going somewhere and spending hundreds of dollars to visit every cliché tourist attraction in the area with your camera glued to your hand. I’m talking about traveling as a traveler. A traveler can immerse themselves in a new culture and explore new places off the beaten path without breaking the bank. This is the kind of traveling that changes lives. I’m not saying traveling is the key to being a good person, but if you adventure as a traveler rather than a tourist, you’ll be surprised at how much you will change.

2. You need to step out of your comfort zone.

Maybe this isn’t true for everyone, but for me, living life to the fullest does not exactly mean work, eat, sleep, repeat. By branching out from your routine and trying new things you never saw yourself doing, it’s almost impossible not to grow as a person. Life really is too short to not be living everyday like it’s your last.

3. You will learn much more about yourself than you already know.

Traveling isn’t always easy. It takes planning, budgeting, time-management, long hours of transportation, and it can be frustrating when you’re in a new environment and have no idea where you’re going or how to navigate. However, during these experiences, you will have the opportunity to make the most of your situation. You will be able to analyze how you handle yourself in rough patches and either learn from your mistakes or realize that you work well under pressure.

4. It’s more fun to “work a little less, live a little more”.

This is a motto that I live by. Of course working and making money is important, but working so much that you don’t have any time to travel should be a red flag. Some of us do put our careers first and love what we do, and that’s great! However, there is much more to life than salaries and office cubicles. Don’t let your version of living result in a routine lifestyle you’re not happy with. Spice it up and seriously try to live everyday like it’s your last.

5. Experiences are worth more than money.

It is scientifically proven that experiences make people happier than money. People work and work and work to pay for bills, buy groceries and necessities, and maybe go on a few dinner and shopping dates here and there. But then what? People need to keep in mind that money is paper. Don’t let it control your life. Let you control your life and spend your money on what is going to make you happy, like maybe a trip to a tropical island for the relaxation you deserve.

6. You only have one lifetime.

When you’re much older, are you going to want to look back on your life and see how much money you’ve saved up, or reminisce on all of the amazing memories and experiences you’ve encountered? Whether you’re a recent college graduate with no money or someone working full-time, make the time. Make money your second priority. Make your life count.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Whitney Scasny

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University
Contributor account for Illinois State