6 easy ways to prevent getting sick at school

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

College is a time for many firsts for a lot of people, first time living on their own, first time doing their own laundry, and first time cooking for themselves. The one first that many people dread is their first time getting sick without their parents being their to baby them. Especially with finals being right around the corner, it’s important to stay healthy and productive in school. Here are 5 simple ways to prevent getting sick.

1. Wash your hands

You had to know this one was coming, it is the most reiterated yet extremely important. Be sure to wash them thoroughly and even scrub under your nails especially when coming from a high populated area like the gym, class, and the dining center.

2. Drink plenty of water

Staying hydrated can keep your overall body healthy, not just your immune system. Try mixing it up with different fruits and ice to keep you constantly sipping.

3. Step up your Vitamin C intake

The easiest way to do this is to drink more orange juice. If you’re concerned about the sugar and calories, go half water half juice. Another way to do this is to invest in some Emergen C packets or Vitamin C supplements. Incorporating these into your daily routine can help you take them regularly.

4. Go to the bathroom

Going to the bathroom as often as you can can help flush out illness causing bacteria. This will keep fluids constantly cycling in and out because the more you use the bathroom the more fluids you can drink.

5. Don’t share drinks

Be cautious about sharing drinks with people. Trust no one, even your closest friends can get you without even realizing it. Don’t fall for someone when they try to convince you that their sniffling and sneezing is “just allergies” so they can get a sip of your milkshake.

6. Exercise

Exercising regularly, more importantly sweating, can help flush out sickness through your pores. The more you sweat the more bacteria leaves your body, making you feel happier and healthier.

Here are my 6 simple to follow tips that will help prevent you from getting sick at school. With finals;  summer; and for some; graduation rapidly approaching, there is no time to be stuck in bed knocked out with a killer cold.

Contributor account for Illinois State