bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways To Eat Better In The Dining Halls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

5 Ways to eat better in the dining halls

Everyone hears about it before coming the college, and everyone’s been warned about it at least once before they head off to college, it’s the dreaded freshman 15. I have some helpful tips however, that can help you fend off this all too familiar trend. So without further ado, here are my 5 simple tips to eat better in the college dining halls:

1. Load up on veggies

Putting a lot of veggies  on your plate does no harm and a lot of good. Eating your vegetables before your other food will fill you up faster and cause you to eat smaller portions of your less healthy food.

2.  Drink a lot of water

Drinking a lot of water throughout your meal will help you become fuller faster and prevent overeating. Also, Drinking water instead of juice or soda also helps to promote healthy hair, skin, and body functions.

3.  Share with a friend

Not everyone can be perfect and healthy all of the time, so when you just really want a cookie or some fries, share it with a friend. This will satisfy your need but not in overloads.

4.  Don’t wait until you’re starving

Doing this can cause overeating and not picking the healthiest options. If you stick to a meal schedule, you can  prevent yourself from becoming so hungry you could eat an entire pizza, because let’s face it, we have all been there.

5. Avoid the unhealthy choices

Sometimes, we don’t realize we want something until we see it. Dessert may have never crossed your mind until you passed the best looking brownie you’ve ever seen. Avoiding the station that has the unhealthy foods altogether can help you not even think about them. Out of sight out of mind, am I right?

Contributor account for Illinois State