yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

5 Things That You Can Only Get Away With in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

For me, there’s no season quite like the fall. I live for that crisp feeling in the air, the smell of fallen leaves, bonfires with good friends, and Halloweentown movie marathons on Disney Channel. Since it is fall, there are so many great things that us collegiettes can do that we can’t typically do during any other time of year (and yes, going for a walk through the woods while instagramming my Pumkin Spice Latte is on my to-do list).

Here is a list of five things that you can get away with this fall:

1. Buying everything Pumpkin.

Coffee creamer, bubble bath, room spray; pumpkin scented everything is back, and that is totally okay! Don’t judge your roommate if she comes home from the grocery store with pumpkin flavored Oreos, pumpkin scented hand sanitizer, or pumpkin pancake mix. This is what fall is for! Splurge on everything pumpkin – it won’t be around for much longer.

2. Going all out for Barn Dance.

Anyone involved in Greek life will tell you that barn dances are the best type of dances. The tractor rides and bonfires make the fall season even more exciting. Nothing quite compares to getting ready with your girls, picking out your favorite flannel, tying your hair back, and throwing on cowboy boots for night full of fun.

3. Taking “Insta- Selfies” with Pumpkins.

In what other season is it socially acceptable to dress up and pose for a picture with a big orange gourd? Embrace it!

4. Walking through a corn maze in Ugg Boots.

Is there any other time of the year where you wouldn’t mind getting lost in a confusing maze made out of corn? Summer is too hot, winter it too cold, but fall is just right. Gather up all of your friends and challenge them to an afternoon of confusion; get lost in that maze, enjoy the weather, and don’t forget your Uggs!

5. Turning into a kid again while raking the leaves.

If we are being honest, nothing is better than coming home and seeing all of the fallen leaves out on the lawn. Raking leaves with friends and family, creating huge piles to jump into, ruining your masterpiece, then doing it all over again is a perfect description of mindless fun. I challenge you this fall to make the biggest leaf pile you possibly can, then jump into it with your friends (burying each other in the leaves is also an option).

Grace O'Brien

Illinois State

Do whatever you want, and if it's something you're going to regret in the morning, sleep late. 
Celina Porretta

Illinois State