This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As we start off this new fall season, we all know that Netflix comes out with their own original series and movies. I, being a relatively new Netflix user, find some of them to be quite good and thought they would be perfect for anyone to watch this fall. So, get out your popcorn because you are in for some serious binge watching. 

Movies

Sierra Burgess Is a Loser

This Netflix Original movie is so relatable and really shows what it is like to be any normal teen in high school. The main character, Sierra Burgess, experiences being one of the smartest kids in her class while also having bodily and self-esteem issues. She believes that no one could ever like her unless she is perfect, which is one of the main conflicts of the movie. The movie also shows some of the social mannerisms we forget we can use in our everyday life, such as calling someone instead of texting. It also tells us to never judge a book by its cover and to stop using stereotypes so harshly. Dorks can be cool, cheerleaders can be smart, and jocks can be sweet but only if you get to know the person behind the label. The biggest outcome to get out of this movie is to never be afraid to take a risk and if someone does not like you for who you really are, they are not worth it. 

Via Netflix and Google Images

Nappily Ever After 

This movie just came out and I got to say it is pretty great. It tells a story of a successful African American woman, Violet, and how one event changes her life forever. Expecting a ring, Violet does everything in her power to be perfect 24/7, especially with her hair. She hates her natural curly hair as her mother instilled the idea of always straightening her hair since she was young. The movie shows us how we should always try to embrace our natural beauty, even if it is not always perfect in the eyes of society. Being different gets you noticed. Violent tried so hard all her life to be perfect, but she always forgot to take care of herself. The main outcome of the movie is to realize that taking care of yourself should always come first because it does truly affect your happiness. 

​Via Netflix and Google Images

Series

Everything Sucks!

This series is so relatable to today even though it is set in the late 90s. Throughout the show, there are millions of 90’s references under the setting of Boring High School. The series covers relationships, peer pressure, discovering sexual orientation, and just dealing with teenage life. I really enjoyed this series because even though it is set twenty years in the past, it still relates to our lives and struggles today.  ​Via Netflix and Google Images

The End of the F***ing World

This series covers the story of two teen runaways with plenty of problems and all the repercussions they experience on their journey from their decisions. It shows them slowly fall in love and tells us how true love can change any person. If you ever wondered what it would be like to run away and go break all the rules, this is the perfect binge watch for you. 

Fair warning there is cursing and some inappropriate content throughout the series, but other than that a great watch for the fall.

Via Netflix and Google Images

American Vandal

American Vandal covers the story of two high schoolers making a documentary to uncover who really vandalized all the teachers’ cars in their high school’s parking lot. You not only get to see segments from the completed documentary, but you get to see how making it affects the people that are in it. They uncover secrets, exaggerated lies, and the truth behind what goes on in the school system to keep up with their reputation. It brings light to what you would ACTUALLY expect a school to do in the situation presented. Also, Season 2 just came out so there is more to binge watch! 

​Via Netflix and Google Images

Honorable Mentions:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

The Kissing Booth

Brain on Fire

Insatiable

Go onward and enjoy your binge watching as we jump into fall!

Much love and peace

Emily

Emily Meixell

Illinois State '22

I'm Emily and I'm a junior Graphic Design Major here at Illinois State. I love to write for HerCampus because it is a place that empowers women and allows me to express myself through writing. Make sure to follow me on Instagram @emmeixell and my art account @loving.the.creative.vibe also on Instagram.
Contributor account for Illinois State