This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, it’s time to get in the Halloween spirit! What better way to do this than by cuddling up and having a Halloween movie night full of monsters, mysteries and a whole lot of magic?

Here is a list of five must-watch Halloween movies, one that provides a variety of genres to fit whatever you are feeling.

1. Corpse Bride

Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride follows Victor as he–unintentionally–marries a corpse! Watch as he navigates life underground, and tries to get back above ground. Corpse Bride is not only a movie but also a musical, with an eerie and gothic feel to it; perfect for the October holiday.

2. Halloweentown

In Halloweentown, 13-year-old Marnie Piper learns that her family comes from a line of witches! And not only that, but their home is a separate world called Halloweentown. Halloweentown is a family-friendly flick that was (and still is) popular enough to be followed by three sequels: Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge, Halloweentown High and Return to Halloweentown.

3. Hocus Pocus

Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Hocus Pocus is about the awakening of a coven of witches. Max, who accidentally freed the coven, along with friends, must race to stop the evil that came with them. Hocus Pocus is all about superstitions, magic and evil, and its sequel coming next fall (29 years after the original, wow!) will surely be the same.

4. Hubie Halloween

Hubie Halloween revolves around Hubie, a kind citizen who is subject to cruel pranks and jokes by his community, as he finds himself in a murder investigation! This movie is a light-hearted watch as it is a family-friendly comedy and mystery. Interesting fact: the cast of Hubie Halloween consists of co-stars of late actor Cameron Boyce, as he was supposed to be in the movie but passed on before it finished.

5. Fun Size

Fun Size surrounds high school senior Wren as she enlists the help of her friends to search for her sibling whom she lost while trick-or-treating. And do not forget, this is all while trying to make it to the best party of the year. While Fun Size is great when wanting a chick-flicks take on a Halloween movie, it is also a family-friendly comedy.  

• Where to watch: Hulu – with a premium subscription

Whichever of these five favorite movies you pick (if not all), it’s time to turn off the lights, get cozy and start watching!

Alexa Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Alexa is a recent journalism graduate of Illinois State University and current student at NYU's Summer Publishing Institute. She has been a contributing writer since 2021 and our Junior Editor since 2022. Follow her on Instagram @alexafricilone