Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Style

5 Fashion-Related Activities To Do While In Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Everyone’s style may be different, but there is one thing we all have in common–quarantine time! Ever since the Coronavirus has become a serious issue, I have had to find more ways to entertain myself while hanging out in my bed room at home. Being interested in fashion, I have thought of a few ways to remedy this boredom through my passion. So, I grabbed my sewing machine from school, pulled out the body mannequin from my closet, snagged some magazines from the bathroom, and have been able to distract myself in a few stylish ways!

Face Masks

Thanks to the Coronavirus, this is one way to make utility stylish. Sure, you can go out and purchase disposable ones, but what’s the fun in that? After talking to my mother’s cousin, a medical doctor, she informed me that hospitals are in need of face mask donations. I have felt as though–besides staying in–I have not been able to help much during this scary time. Once I realized that this was something I could contribute to, I was all in. My family member sent me a list of regulations that these masks must follow in order to be effective, so I began to assemble some based on these guidelines. While sewing is invovled, it is pretty basic. Some of the materials you will need are fabric (layered as this is most effective) and elastic. Most hospitals are in need of them, however, you could also put a message out on social media stating that you are making them–I am sure everyone will want one!

Goal/Trend Boards

This activity can be used not only in fashion, but with interior decorating and simply acknowledging current trends. I have found that there is something about cutting up magazines and rearranging them with others to create goal or trend boards that is most definitely a stress reliever. I know as a student, online classes are an adjustment which is followed by stress. Some of the materials you will need are magazines (any kind), some kind of background paper or poster board, scissors, and a glue stick. Pretty simple, but a great way to keep your mind motivated rather than bored.

Reorganize Closet

Now I know this may not seem like an “activity” but for organizers like me, this is a serious stress reliever and mind-clearer. I enjoy organizing my clothing, shoes, and accessories because it makes it easier for me to decide on outfits in the long run. I am aware that this activity may not be for everyone, however, I would urge you to at least try it once. I know for me personally, when my room/closet is unorganized or messy, it represents my mindset. That is why by the time my room is clean, I am de-stressed. Another pro is that you might also find articles of clothing that you have not seen in a while–do yourself the favor!

Makeup Remover Pads

I did not actually figure out how to make these until recently, however, I have not gone back. I even got some of my family members hooked on these little reusable makeup remover pads. They are inexpensive to make and only take around 10-15 minutes to fully complete if you have sewn before. Some the materials you will need include fabric, wash cloths, and the ability to sew. The best part about these is they are machine washable; no need for single usage and they are way cuter than cotton rounds. They can be made into any shape, but I prefer squares since they cover more area. Directions can be found online for further instruction.

Upcycle Clothing

This activity might take the longest, but also has the most exciting outcome. Now that most–if not all–thrift stores are closed, I think we all have articles of clothing that we never intend on wearing again. For that reason, why not take those clothes and turn them into something we would wear? I have probably cropped the majority of my high school tees and distressed every pair of denim jeans I could find. Except for the low-rise style–those can leave. Older siblings are also a great source for clothing to upcycle, just make sure they are obviously items they do not wear anymore. Upcycling can be anything from completely redoing the garments structure, cropping or distressing, to simply ironing on some fashion patches. Your old clothing is yours to do whatever you want with, so why not keep it stylish?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but the concept of quarantining–although incredibly important–is difficult for me. There are day-to-day activities that I miss, but I am remembering to take advantage of this time off as I know I may miss it in the future. These activities are just some of the ways you can entertain yourself fashionably during this quiet time. Remember: stay inside, wash your hands, and respect those who may be unable to fight this–we can get through it. Happy Quarantining!

Meara Walsh

Illinois State '20

Hello! My name is Meara. I am currently a Senior at Illinois State University, majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I enjoy anything and everything fashion and style related, so the majority of my articles will be based upon such. I love writing because it allows me to express myself freely and shows off parts of my personality. In my free time, I like to assemble trend boards, scroll through Pinterest, hang out with friends, and play with my cat. While at school, I am in a sorority, the President of the Fashion Design and Merchandising Association, and a Student Ambassador. Please enjoy reading my articles!
Contributor account for Illinois State