samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Effective Ways to Get Motivated in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

In college, you don’t have to be in class from 8am to 3pm which equals more free time, theoretically giving you more time to stay on track with schoolwork. However, I quickly realized that even though I have less classes, my “free time” has consisted of naps and procrastination. I have struggled with having consistent motivation throughout my entire academic career, but I have learned a few techniques that have helped combat my laziness when it is seriously time to get stuff done.

Find Inspiration!

The first step in obtaining motivation is finding inspiration to help you get started. I would recommend reading some motivational books in spare moments throughout the day or listening to a motivational podcast on your walks to class. I recently purchased Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis because I want to start reading more instead of spending hours on my phone, it’s still a work in progress. It’s important to find simple motivators throughout the day so it’s easier to complete your tasks later on.

google

Remind yourself of your goals daily

It’s easy to lose motivation when you forget what it is that you want to achieve. What motivates you moves you, so whether that’s getting an A on a test, losing weight, or getting the internship you’ve always wanted, figure out why you’re doing what you’re doing. The passion will come through and help you stay persistent in achieving your goals. A tip you can try is writing down some of your main goals for the week or month in your planner or something else that you look at on a daily basis so it isn’t forgotten and is always on your mind.

Stop doubting yourself

The quickest way to lose motivation is to have decided that you are already not capable of reaching your goals. In high school I would compare myself to other girls my age who seemed so accomplished. They were in honors classes, the lead in every musical, and appeared to have many friends. I thought to myself, why is that not me? What am I doing wrong? I didn’t one day have this epiphany and my mindset changed, I slowly began to just stay focused on myself and my goals because I realized that comparison truly is the thief of joy. The minute you remember what you’re capable of, the motivation will hit, and nothing will be able to stop you.

google

Work Ahead Before You Fall Behind

In college there can be weeks where not much is due and there are other weeks where you have 3 tests, 4 projects, and an endless amount of other responsibilities. As I’m typing this article, I currently have 3 tests that I need to study for and what seems like no time to do so. That is why it is key to work ahead in college, because let’s face it there is always something due around the corner that your holding off on doing because you think you have plenty of time. When you have a “free day”, I strongly advise that you take advantage of that and work on assignments throughout the week so that it’s not all piled up for the weekend. It’s a lot easier to stay motivated when you have to finish a smaller amount of tasks compared to a larger amount that will most likely overwhelm you. However, it is essential you give yourself breaks for a healthier mental state overall, but just be aware of what you have to get done so you maintain motivation and don’t fall behind.

Excuses vs Execution

There are two types of people in this world, people who find excuses and people who make it happen. Everyone is guilty of making excuses now and again for not accomplishing something they had wanted to do. I try to never make excuses for myself because I know that I am the only person in control of how my life is going to turn out. I realize that some excuses are valid in extreme scenarios, but for the most part the excuses just consist of you feeling sorry for yourself. It’s time to stop blaming everything around you and it’s time to execute. Begin putting your plans into actions instead of justifying why you can’t.

I hope some of these tips are helpful for a time when you need motivation the most. As college students it can be easy to lose track of your long term goals because at least for me when something scares me, in this case my future, I prefer to not think about it. Stay focused on accomplishing your short term goals so that your long term goals will be easier to achieve. The motivation is there-you just need to put in the effort to find it.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State