5 Easy DIY Christmas Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As college students, we’re faced with a limited budget. I found some easy homemade gifts that will cost little to nothing to make (and I’m not talking about macaroni crafts)… these are gifts that someone would actually be happy to receive.

1. Dollar Store Candle

Buy a cheap tall candle at the dollar store. Wrap blue painters tape around it in a design that you prefer, then spray paint in whatever color you want. You can also wrap yarn or string around the candle to make a smaller design (like the picture above.) Wait for it to dry and take the paint off to reveal your masterpiece. Voila!

2. Personalized Letter

Buy a wood letter from a craft store then paint it in the color you desire. Hot glue beads or pearls once the paint dries to give it a unique decoration.

3. Pushpin Art

Buy a blank canvas. Use pushpins to create whatever design you would like. In order to have a clean picture, you should trace the design on the canvas with a pencil first.

4. Letter Collage

For your close friends, buy a wood letter and use Mod Podge to put pictures on it. On the back you can write a personalized note!

5. Shot Glasses

Buy a set of clear shot glasses. Use acrylic paint to paint whatever design you choose. Put them in a cold oven and then preheat to 350 degrees. Let sit for 30 minutes in oven. Turn off oven and let cool with the glasses still in the oven.

Contributor account for Illinois State