5 Covid Safe Christmas Activities in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the holidays looming, and Covid cases rising, the Christmas spirit might be a little harder to access this year. The iconic Chicago Christmas activities that we all know and love won’t be the same this year, but there are still some ways to celebrate the season while being safe.

Virtual Christlkindlemarket

During normal circumstances, the Christkindlemarket is an open market styled in the same tradition as Nuremberg, Germany where people can buy ornaments, mugs, and other varieties of Christmas antiques. While the event won’t take place in Wrigleyville or the Loop this year, you can still attend virtually. From November 20th through December 24th you can go to the Christlkindlemarket website and shop all the same goodies you would be able to in person. 

Visions: A Nutcracker Experience 

From December 4th through December 20th, The Ruth Page Center for the Arts will be putting on a socially distanced version of The Nutcracker. This performance will accommodate a smaller audience, as they take them through five floors of the festive dance performance. If you are a fan of classic Christmas traditions and don’t want that to change this year, this activity is definitely worth checking out

ZooLights

The Lincoln Park Zoo will be hosting their annual Zoolights event which will run from November 20th through January 3rd. Guests are required to wear a mask and there is a $5 entry fee. The light show is beautiful allowing several opportunities for photo ops. In addition to the regular festivities this event holds, there will also be A Charlie Brown Christmas tribute concert to look forward to this year.

Holiday Classics at The Drive-In

Most drive-ins are closed for the season, but the Davis Theatre is creating a pop-up drive this year at Fleet Fields. They will be presenting; “Home Alone,” “Elf” and “Die Hard.” If you’re a movie lover like myself, this might be a great option for you and a few loved ones to partake in to get yourself into the Christmas spirit. 

Ice Skating at Maggie Daley Park

I have gone ice skating at Maggie Daley several times, and every time I have a blast. It is located right in the middle of downtown with the city skyline as a backdrop, making it the perfect ambiance to enjoy the season. Admission is always free, but this year people are required to make a reservation since only a maximum of 180 skaters will be allowed on the rink at any time, wearing a mask, of course. If this is something you would be interested in, I would look into reservations now because this event always brings in a crowd.

Well, there you have 5 options for all your Christmas wants and needs. Hopefully, you are able to celebrate the season with joy this year regardless of the circumstances. Happy Holidays and stay safe.

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State