5 Concerts I Would Be Front-Row at if I Had a Time Machine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who would sell their soul to attend another music festival or sit back and enjoy some live music after the eon-long year we’ve spent in this pandemic. In fact, I’ve been day-dreaming about concerts and listening to songs so much lately that it got me thinking: If I could travel back in time, who would I watch perform? While post-COVID concerts are still in the cards, I will only be able to see modern-day musicians. I envy my parents, who grew up during the 70s and 80s. They paid a few dollars to attend absolutely legendary shows put on by rock bands and solo artists who were at their peak and made timeless music.

These are the top five concerts I would attend if I could turn back the clock, number 5 being my ultimate show:

The Eagles

“Life in the Fast Lane” is one of the best songs of all time next to “Take it Easy” and their biggest hit “Hotel California.” The Eagles have shows planned for later this year, none anywhere near where I live, though, but I’m hopeful I will still be able to see them live at some point in the future. It won’t be the same as seeing them when they were a brand new band in 1970s Los Angeles, but you won’t catch me complaining. 

The Rolling Stones

The Stones are argued to be the best rock and roll band of all time (clearly, I disagree according to this list) but I wouldn’t argue with anyone who thinks so. They were actually in the middle of their “No Filter” tour when the pandemic hit, so hopefully I will also be able to catch one of their shows in the near future. Again, it won’t be anything like when Mick Jagger was in his prime, but then again, isn’t he still? Some of my favorite songs by the Stones are “Satisfaction,” “Gimme Shelter,” and of course, “Wild Horses.”

Fleetwood Mac

This is another band that recently was on tour, and I heard raving reviews about their shows. With a singer like Stevie Nicks, it’s bound to be spectacular. I want my future daughter’s middle name to be “Rihannon,” but you really can’t go wrong with any songs off their 1977 album “Rumors,” and I also love “Gypsy” and “Seven Wonders.” I also would like to see Nicks solo, as I love her songs like “Rooms on Fire,” and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” featuring Tom Petty. I would definitely be channeling my inner hippie and wear an outfit inspired by Nicks’ bohemian style. 

REO Speedwagon

My mom’s first ever concert was REO Speedwagon – my mom’s guy friends bought her and girl best friend ten dollar tickets to an REO show for their birthdays since they fall one day apart. She said that from that point on, she caught the concert bug – I guess that’s where my live music addiction comes from. I always tell her how much I envy that she got to experience REO live; I can only sing my heart out to “Roll with the Changes,” “Can’t Fight This Feeling,” and “Time for Me to Fly” in my room (at the expense of my roommates’ ears and sanity). I would trade my tickets to Lollapalooza for REO at Poplar Creek in 1980 anyday.

Led Zeppelin

If you were wondering what rock band is the GOAT in my opinion, well, now you have your answer. I think I own at least three Zeppelin graphic tees, and I take pride in knowing that not only are the shirts stylish, but I can actually name the members of the band and their songs. Listening to Zeppelin is a spiritual experience, and I can’t even imagine what it would have been like to be at one of their shows. If I had the chance, I would have paid all of my money to sit front row and see Jimmy Page play guitar up close. I have a really hard time picking favorites for Zeppelin, but if I had to narrow it down they would be “Heartbreaker,” “Whole Lotta Love,” and “Ramble On.” Zeppelin is my dad’s favorite band, and while he never got a chance to see them live, he did go to Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in 1979. That was the day disco died and rock and roll swept the nation – my father only received one F in his entire academic career, and that was in disco dancing class during high school gym class because he refused to participate. To this day, he still yells at us to “turn it off” and “never listen to that again” when someone is playing the Bee Gees. And if you’ve never heard of Disco Demolition Night until right now, I highly encourage you to check it out.

Amanda Layne

Illinois State '21

Amanda is a Public Relations major at Illinois State University. Writing has been a passion of hers for as long as she can remember, and she aspires to publish an original novel one day. She'd rather read the book than watch the movie, always chooses tea over coffee, and insists that Halloween is the superior holiday. When she's not writing, you can find Amanda cheering on the Chicago Blackhawks, spending time outdoors, or hanging out with her family and friends. She's a firm believer in following every dream and living in the moment. Peace, love, & light. XO
Contributor account for Illinois State