5 Best Snacks To Eat After Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

After working out, we all have that fear of eating back the calories we just burned off. But your body actually needs protiens to help your growing muscles. So to help you, here are five low-calorie, protein filled, yummy snacks that are perfect to eat post-working out:

1. Hummus and Pita – This is the perfect snack to eat after working out. Protein is important to consume after working out and the chickpeas from the hummus gives you a good amount of protein. Also, whole-wheat pita has energy, which will keep you motivated for hours!

2. Apple with Peanut Butter – This is one of the best low-calorie snacks! One apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter is less than 150 calories and it will fill you up so you don’t over consume. It even fuels your muscles and peanut butter contains fiber and protein.

3. Greek Yogurt with Fruit  – I thought nothing could taste better than Greek yogurt, until I added fruit into it. Talk about heaven in my mouth! Greek yogurt is 30 percent protein, which helps with muscle building. The best fruits to add are blueberries, which have high levels of antioxidants, or bananas because they are rich in potassium.

4. Protein Shake – We all know how important it is to have protein after you work out. And it is perfect that we have a Jamba Juice right in our Rec Center. Did you know? You can add soy or whey protein to any smoothie you want, you just have to ask! There are also smoothies with it already added listed under “pre-boosted smoothies.”

5. Cereal with Skim Milk – Try to find a cereal that is low in sugar and high in fiber. Whole-grains are the best and will give you energy. This quick snack will satisfy your hunger and does not have a lot of calories especially if you choose to use skim milk.