This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It is winter. Your skin and hair are dry, and everybody is getting sick. Well no need to worry! Here are five tips and tricks to keep your skin and hair moisturized and keep you and your body healthy in the winter months.

1. Coconut oil

It is great for both your hair and your skin. Reminder though it is oil so a little goes a long way. We don’t want dry skin or hair, but we also don’t want oily and greasy skin or hair. Coconut oil is a great exfoliating moisturizer for your skin. Coconut oil can be used to moisturize your hair and scalp and can help seal and prevent split ends.

1.  Use a humidifier or a diffuser

Both of these are great for putting moisture into the air. The moisture is great for moisturizing your skin. If you use a diffuser, you can put essential oils in it. These oils can boost your immune system or even help you sleep better.

1.  Dryer sheets

Static electricity is terrible during the winter since everything is so dry. If you have/get frizzy/staticky hair just run a dryer sheet over it.

1. Creamy makeup

Since the air so dry in the winter our skin tends to be dry as well. When you use a powder base makeup instead of cream base makeup, it tends to accentuate the dry patches on your face. This makes your face/makeup look flaky and patchy.

1.  SPF

Even in the winter the UV rays are still harmful. To keep your skin looking healthy, soft, and smooth, you should always protect it.

Nastassja Ott

Illinois State '22

Junior at Illinois State University Early Childhood Education Major I love reading, writing, drawing, and coloring in my free time
Contributor account for Illinois State