This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Chicago, as many know, is a city in Illinois that is always filled with exciting and fun activities. For this summer, I have compiled a list of a few cool things to do in the Chicago area that would make for a great day.

Immersive Van Gogh Art Exhibit

Essentially, this event features classic Van Gogh artwork projected on the walls, ceiling and floor of the venue. It looks to be a beautiful and dreamy experience for any art enthusiasts. The event is located at the Lighthouse ArtSpace at Germania Club. Tickets are going fast, so if this sounds interesting to you, I would hop on them quickly!

Shedd Aquarium

The Shedd Aquarium is always a great option to explore when in Chicago. The Shedd Aquarium has been busy lately, but there are some fun different options to enjoy the sea creatures. The aquarium offers a few different virtual opportunities such as a virtual sea lion encounter, virtual shark feeding tour and virtual sea otter encounter.

First Lady River Tours

If you’re more into sight seeing and experiencing the more touristy side of Chicago, the First Lady River Tours would be a great option to partake in. These cruises go down the Chicago River and explore all of the city’s wonderful architecture. It is a great way to see the city from an interesting perspective.

Marvel Exhibition

The Museum of Science and Industry is hosting an awesome Marvel exhibit this summer. It explores the history of Marvel as well as showcases over 300 incredible artifacts, including props from the blockbuster films! If you are a superhero enthusiast or Marvel fan, this is something you have to check out this summer.

Second Saturday Garden Tours

Every second Saturday of each month, the Lincoln Park Zoo holds garden tours. These tours are free and consist of a zoo horticulturist pointing out and talking about the different species in bloom. This is a wonderful way to look at some beautiful flowers and vegetation while simultaneously learning about them and gaining some knowledge.

These are a few fun events that I found out are happening this summer. As someone who does not live near Chicago, I know there are plenty more events going on, and I am already planning on checking some of the ones on this list out!

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5
Contributor account for Illinois State