This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As the first few weeks of the spring semester come to a close, spring break looms right around the corner. This week long vacation is a great opportunity to take a pause from the monotonous routine of school and go somewhere else. However, just because you have the chance to travel does not mean you have to break the bank. Below are some ways to have a great spring vacation without spending a lot.

1. Groupon.

Groupon Getaways are the place to look for great ideas and deals. With airfare and hotel deals, Groupon is a great site for booking travel while trying to save money. At the very least, it can help inspire some location ideas if you’re up in the air on where to go.

2. Travel search engines.

By using websites such as Kayak, Trivago and Travelocity, the best deals on flights and hotels are determined by the amount of people traveling and the given dates. Why pay crazy airfare when bundle options are available?

3. Airbnb.

Airbnb is a great alternative to a hotel. You can rent houses and apartments in different cities that have comparable prices. This adds to the fun of vacation by making your stay feel more comfortable, rather than being stuck in a boring hotel room.

4. Megabus.

Now, this isn’t the most glamorous option of travel, but with prices starting at $1, how can you beat that? Megabus offers rides to major cities such as Nashville and New York, if you’re looking to stay away from the typical beach spring break. 

Taylor Leddin

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State