4 Vegan Treat Brands That Will Sweeten Up Your Valentine’s Day (or Any Day)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whether you are already living the vegan lifestyle, have dietary restrictions, trying to kick artificial ingredients for the new year, or just want to try something new, many people are turning to vegan food choices.  As the popularity has risen, there are many brands that have set out to create delicious vegan treats. With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, candy and chocolates are everywhere!  Here are four great options that will satisfy your sweet tooth without all of the unnecessary additives.    

Lenny & Larry’s

Founded in 1993 by two fitness buffs (named Benny and Barry, funny enough…) who were tired of the typical protein shakes, Lenny & Larry’s Cookies started out as a protein muffin brand.  As they have evolved over the years, they have since focused on perfecting their cookie recipe.  Their Complete Cookie is the complete package: vegan, Kosher, free of GMOs, soy, artificial sweeteners, and high fructose corn syrup, with 16 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of fiber to sweeten the deal.  These are cookies you can count on! ​

Smart Sweets

Launched by Tara Bosch in July of 2016, this fairly new brand on the candy scene vows to #KickSugar with their plant-based copycats of your favorite gummy candies.  From their Sweet Fish to their Sour Blast Buddies, there is sure to be a dupe for your favorite treat!  Better yet, all of their candies have less than 5 grams of sugar and 9 or more grams of fiber per bag! 

(Unfortunately, the current recipes for the Fruity and Sour Gummy Bear varieties contain gelatin, but the rest of the candies on their site are fully plant-based.)

Hu

Co-founders Jordan Brown, Jason Karp, and Jessica Karp were on a mission to create a product that “Get’s Back to Human,” and thus Hu was born.  The company mostly focuses on chocolate, but they also have a line of grain-free crackers.  Their chocolate is made with all USDA-Certified Organic and Fair Trade cacao and cocoa butter, and all of their products are Vegan and Gluten Free.  Whether you prefer chocolate bars with fun flavors, chocolate covered snacks, or just a simple, classic dark chocolate bar, Hu will have something for every palette.

Rule Breaker

Certified Health Coach and former Health Journalist Nancy Kalish sought out to create the perfect healthy brownie recipe.  After a long year of testing, and lots of brownies baked, she had perfected the chickpea-based recipe that Rule Breaker sells to this day.  All of Kalish’s treats are Certified Gluten-Free, Vegan, Non-GMO, and Kosher.  So go ahead, indulge your sweet tooth with the power of chickpeas! 

From sweet fruity candies to luscious dark chocolates, dessert doesn’t have to be limited any longer!  Guilt-free and delicious treats are right at your fingertips with these amazing brands.  Hopefully others will follow in their footsteps to continue making all foods accessible to any diet!

Sonny Crull

Illinois State '23

Hi! My name is Sonny Crull, I am a Senior at Illinois State, and I'm majoring in Interpersonal Communications with a minor in Music! As a writer, I aim to use my voice and platform through Her Campus to share fun, engaging, and relatable content.
Contributor account for Illinois State