4 Things to be Thankful for This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With Thanksgiving and the holiday season rapidly approaching, a lot of things in our lives are coming to an end. The year 2021, the first semester of my senior year and so many other things. With these endings, comes change and with change comes reflection.

For me, the holiday season is all about reflection. It’s about being with friends and family and making a plan to make your next year your best one. With that being said, here are four things to be thankful for this holiday season:

1. Friends and Family 

For me, my friends and family each play a different role in my life. My friends are there for me no matter what and I go to them for literally everything. My family on the other hand supports me in different ways. Although they can be tough on me and don’t necessarily express their feelings to me as often as I would like, I can always count on them to give it to me straight. 

1. School and Education 

I know this is so cliche to put on a list of things to be thankful for but it really is true. I personally love my school and the opportunities it has given me. I’ve been able to grow so much as a person while being away at school. 

My education is also something that I feel like I’ve taken for granted in the past, but now, as I’m about to complete my college education, that gratitude is setting in. For as long as I can remember, I was in school learning, and in just a few short months, I’ll be graduated and off in the world ready to start a new chapter. 

1. Relationships 

This past year has been very uncertain for a lot of people. Covid messed up a lot of social interaction especially for college-aged people. One of my roommates just told me the other day how, as a junior in college, she barely has any friends because she never got the chance to make any. This year, I really want to emphasize how important your current relationships are. 

I’m lucky enough to be in a sorority and so I was able to live with a few of my sorority sisters last year during online school. While it did suck that we couldn’t go out and do stuff together, I still was able to get closer and maintain relationships with people. Because of this, I’ve never been closer to a group of girls. 

1. Health 

I know that this is also a very cliche thing to put on a list of things to be thankful for but I feel as though this year, it’s especially important. COVID has left its mark on so many people it’s insane. I know people who have lost parents, friends, or grandparents and I cannot even imagine what they’re going through. Taking time to be thankful for being healthy and just reflecting on how far science has come because of COVID is so important this year.    

Being thankful this year for anything and everything in your life is so important. We need to be able to reflect and understand that even the little things in our lives are things that we need to be thankful for. 

Sarah Baran

Illinois State '22

Hi!! My name is Sarah and I'm a senior at Illinois State. I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Criminal Justice! I love HerCampus because it gives me the opportunity to write whatever I want. I've never really had this chance before so it's really amazing to get to experience. If you want to see more about my life, follow me on Twitter and Instagram! @sarahs524