This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Singer Teyana Taylor’s sophomore album, K.T.S.E (Keep That Same Energy), is one out of five albums produced by Kanye West last year. K.T.S.E debuted at number 17 on the US Billboard 200. K.T.S.E was my soundtrack of Summer 2018. I listened to this album every single day. Following the release of Teyana’s new video for her single “Issues/Hold on”, here are four reasons why this album stayed on repeat.

1) Had hits despite fast release: 

It had been four years since Teyana released her debut album. Teyanna worked really hard on K.T.S.E because she knew fans were waiting for such a long time. When the album came out, Teyana was open about her frustration in how a lot of songs were left off of the album. Despite her moment of disappointment, the album was a hit to me. Every song on the album aligned with the Soulful/R&B mood that producer Kanye West was going for. I still want to hear the songs that Teyana wanted on the album. Deluxe edition me please!

2) Honest:

There were no topics off limits. She discussed motherhood, threesomes and much more. Teyana was very revealing throughout the album, but she really laid it all out on the track “Rose in Harlem”. It was as if she wrote a response to all of her haters. She had lyrics like “I just bought my third house, no album out and I got ’em asking, ‘What do she do?’ I do everything. I move everything”. That’s right, Shut them up Tey! 

3) Worked with legends:

Teyana did a remix to her song Gonna love me, featuring members of the legendary Hip-Hop group, Wu-Tang Clan. Ghostface Killah, Raekwon and Method Man all gathered to create a masterpiece.

4) Spike Tee

Teyana added director to her long list of titles. She directed all the videos for the album. She has her own production company called “The Aunties Production”. Inspired by legendary director Spike Lee, Teyana A.K.A Spike Tee, has self-directed videos for WTP, Gonna Love Me, and Issues/Hold on from the album. It was as if she traveled back into time in each video. Gonna Love Me payed homage to the 90’s. WTP taking place in a queen ball, gave an 80’s vibe. Issues/Hold on is her latest video and takes place during the 70’s. A$AP Rocky is her love interest in the new video so you don’t wanna miss this. Watch it here!

Overall I love Teyana Taylor for her versatility. She is a singer, dancer, actress, business owner, director, mother, and wife. Teyana shows that there is no limit to your dreams. Teyana is constantly proving that she is here to stay. I cannot wait to see what is next for her!

Joi Adams

Illinois State '21

Hey! I am a COM major at ISU. I love music, instagram and candles! I own my own candle business at FiveSevenLit.com.  My personality is on a spectrum from Michelle Obama to Cardi B, Okurrr! Journalism has always been a passion of mine. I am so excited to be featured on Her Campus! I hope the stories that I share brings inspiration, laughter, and most of all Joy to your life. Feel free to follow me on Instagram @officialjoi
Contributor account for Illinois State