4 Places to Visit Being an ISU Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whether you are a baby Redbird or soon to be flying the coop, there are hidden gems in Blo-No you absolutely have to experience being an Illinois State student. Some will feed your adventurous soul, while others will satisfy your sweet tooth; however all of them are a marvelous attribute to the town we call our “home away from home.”

Fusion Brew

Okay, this place is every coffee shop lover’s dream come true. The cute “pallet” inspired furniture and its HUGE drink menu makes it unique and homey. I highly recommend the White Chocolate Symphony or the Caramel Apple Slush. Fusion Brew offers both the perfect atmosphere to get all of your homework done and a phenomenal space to chat with friends. Being only a few steps from the Rec and Cherry Berry, it’s very close to campus and close to my heart. If I’m not in class, you will most likely find me here…No lie.

Constitution Trail/Camelback Bridge

Need a new running path to peruse? The Constitution Trail offers a step into nature with easy entrance access near Uptown. If you are looking for a scenic stroll on a Saturday, I highly recommend grabbing your pooch and hitting the trail. Along the way, you will find the Camelback Bridge that is historic to the Bloomington/Normal area. It was even featured in a Mitsubishi car commercial!

That’s So Sweet Bakery

One word: CHEESECAKE.  Did I convince you yet? Offering miniature cheesecakes in a multitude of flavors, That’s So Sweet Cheesecake Bakery has been always been a MUST in my mind after a long day. You cannot go wrong with any of the options, but let me tell you…the White Chocolate Raspberry will change your life. Its location in Uptown makes it the perfect destination for any “post dinner date” temptations.

Waiting Room Record Shop

The Waiting Room is hands down one of the best shops I have visited in Uptown Normal. Even if you are not interested in the immense record selection, they carry every single CD you could possibly imagine. Along with their record and CD collection, they also sell a variety of band posters. For all my fashionista readers, they have a little room dedicated to vintage finds that are sure to add some flair to your style. The collection ranges from old concert tees to quaint dresses and even some velvet tops (I scored one for $2.00!). 

There is so much that ISU has to offer outside of the education realm…get out and enjoy everything that makes Illinois State our school of choice!

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Celina Porretta

Illinois State