29 Words You Didn’t Know You Needed In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We have all been through emotions or moments that we could not put into words no matter how hard we tried.  Little did we know, there are actually words and definitions for all of those inevitable experiences that as humans, we naturally face at some point in our lives.  Here are 29 of the words that we were unaware even existed, but that are absolutely relevant in expressing some of our most vivid feelings and interests. 

1. Yoyuu – The Japanese word that helps convey the feeling of being ready for whatever life may throw at you next.

2. Sonder – Realizing that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own

3. Procaffeinating – The tendency to not start anything until you’ve had a cup of coffee.

4. Retrophile – A lover of past eras and objects.

5. Cynophilist – One who loves dogs.

6. Pluviophile – A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days.

7. Nirvana – A state of perfect harmony, happiness, and freedom

8. Alexithymia – Being unable to express one’s own feelings

9. Onism – The frustration of being stuck in one body that only inhabits one place at one time.

10. Wanderlust –  A strong desire to travel.

11. Librocubicalist – A person who reads in bed.

12. Wonderwall – Someone you find yourself thinking about all the time, the person you are completely infactuated with.

13. Elysian – Beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful or perfect.

14. La Douleur Exquise – The heart-wrenching pain of wanting the affection of someone unattainable.

15. Numinous – Decribing an experience that makes you fearful yet fascinated, awed yet attracted- the powerful, personal experience of being overwhelmed and inspired.

16. Ubuntu – The belief we are defined by our compassion and kindness towards others.

17. Vivacious – Full of life and good spirits.

18. Halcyon – Denoting a period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful.

19. Nepenthe – Something that can make you forget grief or suffering.

20. Sophrosyne – A healthy state of mind, characterized by self-control, moderation, and deep awareness of one’s true self, and resulting in true happiness.

21. Retrouvaille – The joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long seperation; rediscovery.

22. Resfeber – The nervous feeling you get before undertaking a journey; the restless race of a traveler’s heart before the journey begins.

23. Clinomania – Excessive desire to stay in bed.

24. Rasasvada – The taste of bliss in the absence of all thoughts.

25. Lethologica – When you think of something but the word for it escapes you.

26. Mamihlapinatapei – The wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to intiate something but are both reluctant to start.

27. Augenblick – “In the blink of an eye”, a decisive moment in time that is fleeting, yet momentously eventful and incredibly significant.

28. Kalokagathia – The good and beautiful in a person.

29. Kilig – The rush or inexplicable joy one feels after seeing or experiencing something romantic.

Alyssa Damato

Illinois State

Junior at Illinois State University. The Chicago Cubs are life. I like sports and stuff.
Contributor account for Illinois State