This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Some of the fashion at the Oscars this year was a little different, but in all of the best ways. At the 2018 Golden Globes there was only one color on the red carpet: black. For this awards show, celebrities were sporting more colorful ensembles, but that didn’t stop some of them from sending strong, social messages. While many of us have already seen snapshots of who wore what, I want to shed light on some of the more interesting and underappreciated looks that appeared on the red carpet. Of course, we will slip in some of the ultimate favorites too, because I can’t help myself.

Rita Moreno

Sometimes it pays off to hold out on that major closet clean out. Rita Moreno wore the same gown that she wore to the 1962 Oscars. She wore this dress when she was awarded best actress in a supporting role for “West Side Story.” The dress and Rita herself are just as beautiful today!

Emma Stone

The Oscars aren’t only for elegant dresses. That’s right! Pants! Emma Stone sported Louis Vuitton pants on this year’s red carpet and we won’t be surprised if this trend catches on very quickly.

Saoirse Ronan

This was one of my favorite looks of the evening! Saoirse looks so elegant and pretty in pink in this Calvin Klein dress!

Viola Davis

The hair, the hoops, the hot dress! Viola Davis is also pretty in pink in this Michael Kors Collection gown. I loved seeing such a bright color on the carpet!

Margot Robbie

Let’s be honest, there would be no article about the Oscars fashion if we didn’t mention Margot Robbie. She looks like an absolute angel in this stunning Chanel Haute Couture dress.

Jennifer Garner

Another beautiful, bright color in the mix of many neutrals! We haven’t seen Jennifer Garner much lately, but she has truly never looked better!

Zoey Deutch

This tiered Elie Saab dress has such intricate details, we can’t get enough! This was actually her first time attending the actual show and her dress choice couldn’t have been better!

Which look was your favorite?

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State