The 2013 Grammys is Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s Grammy season ladies and gents and the “biggest night in music” is finally here! Tonight hundreds of the most talented musicians will flock to the Staples Center in Los Angeles to watch LL Cool J host the 55th Annual Grammy’s. This year’s nominees are some of the all-time best including The Black Keys, Adele, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Swedish House Mafia, and countless other amazing artists. Soaring high above the rest of the nominees Fun., Jay-Z, Mumford & Sons, Frank Ocean and Kanye West with six nominees each.

According to Spinner.com, Ed Sheeran, The Lumineers, and Jack White have just recently been added to the list of performers of the night. Previously announced performers include fun., Mumford & Sons, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys, Carrie Underwood among others.

Some of the awards to look out for are Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist. Here are the nominees:

Album of the Year

The Black Keys – El Camino

Fun. – Some Nights

Mumford & Sons – Babel

Frank Ocean – Channel Orange

Jack White – Blunderbuss

Record of the Year

The Black Keys – “Lonely Boy”

Kelly Clarkson – “Stronger”

Fun. feat. Janelle Monae – “We Are Young”

Gotye feat. Kimbra – “Somebody That I Used to Know”

Frank Ocean – “Thinkin Bout You”

Taylor Swift – “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”

Best New Artist

The Alabama Shakes

Fun.

Hunter Hayes

The Lumineers

Frank Ocean

Now the question remains, who will take home the Grammys? Last year awards were easier to predict, but critics say this year is different.  There has been a lot of skepticism as to who’s going to dominate the show. With all of the talented musicians that will be in attendance, there are sure to be many surprises throughout the night. Make sure to tune in tonight at 7 PM on CBS! 

Ali Hutzler

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State