This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

While this year has given me many interesting topics to write about with its constant plot twists, I’m happy to say this is my last article of 2020. This year has been unlike any other, and as eager as I have been to push it out the door and cheers to a (hopefully) much better new year, looking back at the past 12 months I am left with a lot of valuable lessons learned, and that is something to be grateful for. Perhaps I didn’t need a global pandemic taking over my life to teach me these things, or maybe I did. Either way, I thought I would leave you with these small bits of advice I have picked up during the great, big, scary year that was 2020. 

January-April

Friends will go through seasons of staying in and out of touch, but that doesn’t make them any less important. 

Who you surround yourself with says a lot about you. 

Make opportunities for yourself, they won’t always fall right into your lap. 

The best memories often aren’t planned at all. 

If you can’t find the light, be the light..and if you can’t be the light, it’s okay to have seasons of darkness and uncertainty. 

Try to compliment at least one person a day, it’ll do more for you than it will for them.

May-August

Your amount of productivity in a day does not determine your worth. 

Isolation can teach you things that go unnoticed during the noise of chaos. 

Your gut instinct is always right…like always. 

Hold onto good moments and use those to fuel your bad moments. 

The way you speak to yourself, about yourself, is significant. 

Learn to enjoy doing things by yourself (you’re stuck with you forever!) 

Listen to your needs before your wants, and try not to get them mixed up. 

September-December

To grieve someone hurts a lot less than forcing them to be a part of your life. 

Distance over disrespect. 

Treat yourself like someone you care about. 

What someone says about you says more about them. 

There is always good in the world, even if it’s not right in front of you!

A good laugh is sometimes all you can do to help a situation. 

Things always have a way of eventually falling into place and making sense, even if it takes some time.

2020 reared its ugly head leaving many people with a change of plans, losses, uncertainty, and having to take on new challenges. However, as most people do, we prevailed and if you’re reading this then you’ve almost made it to 2021, and that is definitely something to raise a glass to.

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State