This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but my 2017 was quite the whirlwind of a year. So many ups and downs, highs and lows, both in my personal life and in the real world. Yet 2018 is just around the corner, and I’m feeling more confident than ever that this next year is going to be the year of bettering myself and truly appreciating the world around me.

2017 was a year so full of lessons that I have walked away from it as a different person. So to end this beautiful train wreck of a year, here’s 17 things I learned these last twelve months, some of which you probably realized as well.

1.      Don’t wait for the right moment. Create it. Make your own opportunities. I missed out on saying so much to someone because I was waiting for “the right time” to bring something up. I’ve learned to just say what I feel when I want to say it.  

2.      You can’t fully rely on one person and give them everything you have. People can and will hurt you. Don’t expect anyone to be an exception. Believe me

3.      Heartbreak and disappointment are inevitable. What you can control is how you come out of these situations. Even if you’ve been hurt, don’t be afraid to learn to trust again. How you look at yourself after a heartbreak determines how you grow. It’s okay to trust someone else. They are NOT the person that hurt you.

4.      Sometimes unexpected friendships turn out to be the best ones. This past year was memorable for me because I met a lot of incredible people who made it that way. These new friendships truly pushed me to be a better me. 

5.      Putting just 10 bucks in your gas tank goes a long way. I somehow lived off a quarter of a gas tank for two weeks, and it was fantastic

6.      Focus on yourself. We often find ourselves consuming our energy on someone who didn’t matter in the end. You are inevitably going to be the only one who matters at the end of the day.

7.      Let life come to you. You might spend too much time chasing something you truly didn’t want in the end.

8.      “Better yourself every day. Tomorrow you might not be where you want to be, but you’ll be better than you were yesterday” is a phrase my friend Dan consistently told me in 2017.

9.      Don’t make decisions based solely on “what ifs.” Things change every day, and fears of what could happen shouldn’t stop you from living your life. I would rather deal with “oh well” then a “what if…”

10.  Make mistakes. Mistakes are learning opportunities. It’s human nature. It’s okay.

11.  Develop your own self confidence. Take fashion risks. Dye your hair, buy that dress, and pay for shipping for those thigh high boots! It’s truly character building!

12.  Celebrate the small things. Your favorite song came on the radio in the middle of a bad day? Wine’s half off at Jewel? Your favorite soup is on special today? You didn’t text your ex during a night out last night?!?! Let’s celebrate that! 

13.  Don’t assume, and go with your gut. Your gut really is always right. If you don’t feel right about a situation, leave. It’s for the best. If your gut is telling you to pursue something, do it. Take the chance.

14.  Do. Not. Settle. I’ve learned to surround myself with people who truly care about me and bring positivity into my life. Cut out toxic people, and don’t keep them around just because you feel lonely.

15.  Don’t be afraid to reach out and tell people how you feel about them. As painfully cliché as this sounds: life really is short. You never know when it’s your last time talking to someone. Remind the people in your life how much they mean to you. It will go a long way.

16.  Family is superior to everything and anything. Personally, my family hit a lot of rough patches this year, but what has remained intact was our loyalty to one another. There was nothing I valued more than the dedication my parents gave to the rest of us.

17.  Go back to your roots. Being in college and post-grad life often consumes us and stops us from doing what we love. If you ever feel the need to find happiness, go back to what has always made you happy. Explore your passions, both past and current.

Make 2018 a year with little to no regrets, and love the person you become. Take chances, and accept what cannot be changed. Xoxo 2017, see ya never!

Davita Jo Monaghan

Illinois State

It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world.
Contributor account for Illinois State