13 Food Hacks to Help You Eat Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We love our bodies. We want to make sure we are eating healthy and being smart about what we eat. Whether you are looking to cut back on calories, sugar or carbs, here are 15 food hacks that will keep you on the right track:

1. Use vinaigrette dressing instead of creamy dressing.

It will save you so many calories. Of course you can enjoy Caesar and ranch dressing every now and then, but all things in moderation.

2. Instead of sharing an appetizer and ordering your own entrée, do the opposite.

When you share an appetizer, you are more open to ordering something unhealthy. Plus, entrée meals often contain more calories than appetizers do.

3. Dab the oil off pizza.

You’d be surprised how many calories you can add on just by indulging in all the grease on a slice of pizza.

4. Eat whole grains instead of white (bread and rice).

Whole grains contain more fiber, while helps you feel full longer, which helps you eat less throughout the day.

5. Order vegetables (or fruit) on your pizza.

Yes… Fruit. Pineapple on pizza is delicious and nutritious. Also, try spinach on pizza.

6. Buy plain yogurt instead of flavored yogurt.

Instead of eating that delicious cherry flavored yogurt, try plain yogurt and add your own fruits and sweeteners such a strawberries, granola and pure honey.

7. Eat real fruit instead of dried fruit.

Dehydrated fruits such a raisins aren’t nearly as healthy and pure as a cup of grapes.

8. Eat pure dark chocolate instead of chocolate candy.

Avoid any chocolates that are processed with alkai. Instead, eat pure dark chocolate. It might take some time to get used to but try freezing it and it’ll be much easier to bare and is still delicious.

9. Eat ice cream instead of sorbet.

Shocker, I know. But the fruit-flavored treat has on average about 12 more grams of sugar than regular cream-based ice cream. But like always, all things in moderation.

10. Top your burger with mustard instead of ketchup.

Condiments are always sneaky when it comes to sugar. Instead of Sweet Baby Rays and ketchup, try Sabra’s Classic Hummus or Frank’s Red Hot because they contain 0 grams of sugar.

11. Wrap your burger in lettuce instead of a bun.

It’s still a burger – or chicken sandwich, just with a crunch, which is either a win or lose situation. When you do this, it will reduce your carb intake significantly.

12. Eat thin-crust pizza instead of regular.

Thin crust pizza contain one-third of carbs found in thicker-crust pizza; let’s face it, thin-crust will always taste better!

13. Swap whole-wheat flour for regular when baking.

Wheat flour contains more indigestible fiber than white so your body will automatically absorb fewer calories.

Kamara. 19. Illinois State University Contributing Writer.
Contributor account for Illinois State