This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

One of my favorite things to do with my sister is watch movies. It may sound a little lame, but we actually look forward to picking out what we’re going to watch on Friday nights, especially since we are trying to not frequently go out due to the pandemic. It can be difficult picking something that’s perfect to watch with all of your friends, so I’ve created a list of some of my favorites for you to consider next time you want a chill night. 

Coyote Ugly

-Favorite Quote: “I love that bar. I’d sleep there, if I had the guts to walk around barefoot. Just a small town girl trying to make it in the big bad city.” 

-Why You Should Watch: I always blast the soundtrack for this movie for at least a week after watching it, because that’s how obsessed with it I am. My mom showed my sister and I this one, and I feel that it has moments of female empowerment that will make you and your friends want to get up and dance like the characters do.

What a Girl Wants

-Favorite Quote: “No hugging dear. I’m British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.” 

-Why You Should Watch: Daphne does her best to navigate forming a relationship with her father, who just so happens to live in a completely different country and is a Lord. Amanda Bynes is hilarious, and what girl doesn’t want to have her princess moment?

27 Dresses

-Favorite Quote: “Love is patient, love is kind, love means slowly losing your mind.”

-Why You Should Watch: Katherine Heigl and James Marsden singing “Benny and the Jets” in a bar at the top of their lungs… Need I say more?!

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

-Favorite Quote: “My life was a mess… but I could clean my room.”

-Why You Should Watch: Every girl secretly wants a Peter Kavinsky in her life, including me. This movie is so sweet, and does a fantastic job at staying true to the book it’s based off of. Lara Jean is such a relatable main character, you and your friends will want to rewatch this one as soon as it ends.

10 Things I Hate About You

-Favorite Quote: “Just ‘cause you’re beautiful, that doesn’t mean you can treat people like they don’t matter.”

-Why You Should Watch: Kate is such a mood in this film, it isn’t even funny. I love how this film is a romance, but also not one of the cheesy cliche ones. Kat and Patrick don’t have a perfect relationship, which is what makes us root for them even more. 

Practical Magic

-Favorite Quote: “But there are some things in life I know for certain: always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.” 

-Why You Should Watch: Just because Halloween is over doesn’t mean we still can’t watch movies about witches! The humor and family bonds in this film make it so great, and has a group of strong women as its frontrunners.

Something Borrowed

-Favorite Quote: “The Hamptons are like a Zombie movie directed by Ralph Lauren.”

-Why You Should Watch: Best friends have their struggles, which is what this film shows. It can be hard navigating adult problems after years of friendship, but it also is so important to have at least one person to have your back through anything. John Krasinski also has some of the best one-liners in this film!

The Devil Wears Prada

-Favorite Quote: “She’s not happy unless everyone around her is panicked, nauseous, or suicidal.” 

-Why You Should Watch: This film is simply iconic, I feel like I don’t even have to explain why you should check this one out. Meryl Streep’s speech about the cerulean blue sweater speaks for itself. 

Pitch Perfect

-Favorite Quote: “Get pitch slapped.” 

-Why You Should Watch: This film is hilarious, and it’s super relatable to all of the crazy antics that you and your friends may get into during college. The musical scenes are also really great, too. 

13 Going on 30

-Favorite Quote: “I wanna be thirty. Thirty and flirty and thriving…”

-Why You Should Watch: We’ve all wanted to grow up quickly at some point, and may be regretting those thoughts now. Adulting is hard, but what we can do is watch nostalgic movies like these that emphasize we’re all just kids at heart. 

Hopefully a few of these made it on your list of movies to watch the next time you have your friends over! So, what are you waiting for? Get that popcorn popped and gear up for a relaxing night with your friends.

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.
Contributor account for Illinois State