This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

As students, it feels like we are constantly forcing information into our heads. We hope we manage to understand and remember things all the time, but at times we don’t. Sometimes a lot of us cannot make sense out of what we are learning; we all go through this. 

Everyone learns and absorbs information in their own way, and you could be trying to this in a harder way. Here are four main different learning styles; getting a grasp of which one you are might help you tackle all the work that is pilling upon you!

The visual learner

Visual learners tend to process information better when visualizing ideas. Charts, graphs, and idea maps help those learn their material. Scribbling down words, arrows, or drawings of what they are reading or hearing could also help them absorb and understand the information. 

The auditory learner 

These types of learners learn better when they hear the information. Auditory learners prefer lectures and discussions over a textbook or annotations, and to remember the material, many find it best to talk about it with others. They also tend to talk through to read things out loud to themselves; this helps to process what they are reading. 

The kinesthetic learner

Kinesthetic learners, or physical learners, learn best by moving or engaging in some related activity while processing information. These types of learners tend to fidget quite a lot because this movement is associated with the knowledge they are taking in. 

The reading/writing learner

Reading and writing learners are very comfortable with texts and notes. They consume information by reading texts, annotating, and then recreating, rephrasing, or summarizing it. These people might enjoy or have an easier time with reading and writing assignments a little more than others. 

People can rarely be categorized into one of these types, but it is very common for someone to be a combination of a few of these dominant learning styles. 

I hope this article helps you get a grasp of what kind of learning you are most comfortable with. You could explore different kinds of learning processes and figure out which one works best for you. 

Utako Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Hi, I'm Utako and I am a sophomore at International Christian University!
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.