Style > Fashion

The ultimate tool for when you don’t know what to wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

You just went shopping and managed to convince yourself that you would somehow find a way to style that skirt you couldn’t bring yourself to put back on the rack. Or maybe you went on a retail therapy bender, and by the time you’d regained your senses, it was too late. Been there, done that.

When I was a first-year, my monthly paycheck was used entirely at thrift stores, and as a result, the majority of my closet consisted of items I rarely wore or knew how to style. I was debating whether or not to donate some items when I came across what I think is one of the most useful fashion tools out there. Let me introduce to you Vogue Magazine’s Street Style Trend Tracker.

As the name suggests, this “tracker” is a database that contains thousands of streety-style snapshots from around the world. The user has the option to filter photos by selecting a specific article of clothing, along with its color and style. Photos can even be selected by specifying a city or season. 

Putting together outfits became so much easier after I started using this site. If there is a specific item that I don’t know how to style, one of the first things I do is consult the tracker. I can usually find inspiration by looking at photos of people wearing items similar to the one I’m having trouble with. 

If you have items in your closet that you’re convinced you will never wear, maybe consult the tracker first! Sometimes looking at it on someone else is all you need to gain a new perspective. 

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.