thrift store shoes
thrift store shoes
Original photo by Samantha Butts
Style > Fashion

The Best––and Most Affordable––Thrift Stores in Tokyo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Thrifting in Japan is often made out to be an expensive habit. Typically the idea of secondhand clothing garners images of cheaper prices, but in Japan, this isn’t necessarily always the case. A large majority of thrift stores have price tags just as expensive as any “normal” store, however, there are still a good number of stores that sell for affordable prices. A good 80% of my wardrobe consists entirely of thrifted clothes, and I definitely wouldn’t have been able to purchase most of it had the prices not been affordable. 

While I do agree that a large majority of thrift stores’ average price ranges don’t differ too much from a non-secondhand store, there are a couple chain stores that have good quality clothing for extremely low prices. Thrifting is not only good for the environment, but it is also a good way to find items that fit your particular style without being influenced by current trends. The following stores have locations all over Tokyo, so next time you run across one don’t hesitate to take a look! I promise you the quality and prices are worth it. 

1. Mode-Off

I’ve found Mode-Off to be one of the cheapest chain thrift stores in Japan. Each location typically has an overwhelming assortment of clothing, so searching for items you might like can take time. But if you have the energy, I definitely recommend checking out a few locations. The range of clothing tends to differ between locations, but I’ve personally had the most luck finding clothes that I like at the Tachikawa and Kichijoji shops. 

1. Treasure Factory

Treasure Factory (or TreFacStyle) is not too different from Mode-Off in terms of price point, but I find their items to be more in-line with current trends. The brands range from fast fashion to high fashion labels, so it goes without saying that the prices also come in a wide range. But overall, even mid-level brands are priced at levels comparable to affordable clothing stores such as Uniqlo or GU. 

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.