This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Getting your foundation to stay on your skin properly can be a year-round challenge. But if you live in Japan, you’ll know that summers here are on another level. Not only is it extremely hot, but the humidity also does a number on your makeup. 

Powder is the typical go-to when it comes to setting your makeup. However, I find that not only does it make my face look cakey, but it does next to nothing when it comes to helping my makeup last in the summer heat. 

That’s okay, though, because I found something that works even better. In fact, I haven’t included powder in my daily makeup routine in over a year. My alternative? Toner. Hatomugi toner that can be purchased at any drugstore, to be exact. 

I find that misting my face with this toner immediately after applying my foundation has unbeatable results. Not only does it eradicate any potential cakeyness, but the toner’s moisturizing aspect also helps the foundation stick to my skin better. As a result, I have few issues with my makeup sliding around on my face even in Japan’s summer heat. 

Results may differ depending on foundation and skin type, but I definitely think it’s worth a try! And besides, moisturizing your skin is never a bad idea ;). 

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.