This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

The film Perfect Days (2023) is talked about everywhere in Japan, as it is an award acclaimed film, starring the talented actor Kōji Yakusho. The film revolves around a toilet cleaner, Hirayama, who is very quiet, mature and intelligent. 

He lives in a small apartment in Tokyo, with very minimalistic things. He wakes up with the sound of someone cleaning the streets and starts his morning routine, which consists of folding his futon (bed), watering the plants, brushing his teeth and getting dressed. After he gets ready, he goes to clean multiple public bathrooms all around Tokyo, which feels weird because I actually have been to some of the toilets seen in the films. 

After he is done with his work, he again has another routine where he goes to take a shower then heads to a bar/izakaya and goes home, and read until he is ready to fall asleep. Next day comes and repeats the same exact mundane routine. 

On Sundays though, he goes to a camera shop and gets his films developed and spends his time book shopping, and going to the bar. 

If you have never seen the film, you may think that it is such a boring plot-less film, but I think the film is a must-watch for all of us, those who are living in a tech-centered world. 

Lessons i learned from the film

1. Finding joy in your everyday life

When I’m busy with my university life, full of exams and assignments, life gets very repetitive. I wake up everyday, get ready, go to school, work on my assignments, go to work, come home and sleep. I repeat the same routine every single day. Then, I go on social media and look at all the fun activities other people are doing (we all know social media is fake but), I do get quite depressed. 

This film made me realize that you can find joy in these routine-like days, if you pay close enough attention. Choosing the songs you listen to when you head to school, observing the changes in nature when you are walking through the park, the silly conversations you have with your friends in class, there are countless joyful  heartwarming moments in the mundane clips of your life! 

1. Joy of connecting 

Technology is such a wonderful tool that allows you to connect with people to people that live on the other side of the world. It is insane to think about. I love how it allows me to keep in touch with my friends from the states and make new friends who have the same interest as me!  

BUT, this film has highlighted the beauty of connecting with people in the physical world.

Talking with your loved ones, your co-worker telling you a funny story, re-connecting with a family member who you haven’t seen in a while. The hugs, the laughter, even the silences are so beautiful when experiencing it together. It made me want to go hang out with my friends more in person, than just texting them updates of my life. 

I hope this can be a reminder to you to reach out to your friend and maybe grab coffee together!

1. Next time is next time.. Now is Now! 

When Hirayama and her niece are riding their bike together, she asks him whether they could go see the ocean. Hirayama answers, “One day.” She isn’t satisfied with his answer so she nudges for a specific date. Hirayama dodges the questions and starts  singing “Next time is next time.. Now is Now!” 

It can prompt you to stay present, without thinking too much about the future. Thinking about the future can sometimes take away the fun in the present, by making you notice what you are lacking in that moment.

Ayana Hatanaka

ICU (Japan) '26

Hi! I'm Ayana, currently studying in ICU! I love music and going to concerts!