This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

It’s the 4th day of the global action week! It’s a very good chance to think about contributing to the world. But when it comes to global action, some people may have no idea how to save the world. For those of you, I will share one global action which anyone can easily take part in, called the Onigiri Action!

What is Onigiri Action?

Samgak Kimbap - Korean Snack
Photo by Samia Liamani from Unsplash

Onigiri Action was launched in 2015 by TABLE FOR TWO (TFT). TFT is a global initiative that aims to solve the serious hunger problem. They provide many unique campaigns like “Onigiri Action” and “Wa-Shokuiku—Learn. Cook. Eat Japanese!” and so on. 

In this campaign, every time we post a photo of onigiri (a Japanese rice ball), five school meals are provided to children in need of food around the world. The more we’re interested in the issue, the more children we can save. In Onigiri Action 2019, people shared 295,398 photos and 1,605,978 school meals were donated! People who posted helped to provide 8,000 children healthy lunches for a year.

This year, Onigiri Action will be held from October 1st to 31st. You can join this action as many times as you want during this month. Enjoy making and eating onigiri!

For what?

According to the World Food Programme,135 million people suffer from hunger largely because of conflicts, climate change, and economic issues. The COVID-19 pandemic could now double that number, putting about 265 million people are at risk of suffering hunger by the end of 2020.

We need to learn about this serious situation and inform others across the world!

How to Get Involved?

We can take part in Onigiri Action by just two easy steps!

STEP 1: Take a photo of “onigiri (a Japanese rice ball)”

onigiriaction
Photo by Kanako Shimizu

Onigiri you bought at a convenience store, or handmade one, any onigiri is fine! But only photos, not videos!

Valid onigiri photo: Real onigiri, Onigiri Making, Photo Booth Props, Onigiri Pose/ Hand sign, Onigiri craft, Onigiri artwork, any photos

It is okay if you take a photo with your friends, but don’t forget to smile with your onigiri! 

And also, You can draw a cool face on your onigiri!

STEP 2: Post the photo with #OnigiriAction on your SNS accounts

texting on iPhone
Photo by Marten Bjork from Unsplash

Make sure that you unlock your account so that you can share this action all over the world.

Valid hashtags: #ONIGIRIACTION #OnigiriAction #Onigiriaction #onigiriaction

If you don’t use any SNS or cannot unlock your private account, no problem! There’s a specific website for this action. Search for “onigiri-action.com” to join it!

Take action for the World!

These days, we can easily get a lot of information about global issues on SNS. It’s important not only to “like” on that post, but also to start thinking about and discussing these problems. 

This Onigiri Action can be the first step for you to save the world!

Kanako Shimizu

ICU (Japan) '23

Hi, I'm Kanako. I'm studying at International Christian University.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.